Re: Saving to a specific file with a specific file name

I got it guys, thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction - much
appreciated!

"Chr1551" wrote:

Thanks Jean-Guy, I have two separate templates, 1 for quotes and one for
faxes, I opened the one for quotes and opened the VBA editor and clicked
'this document' on the left hand side and pasted your code in there. Is this
correct? I changed the cell reference and then modified the top code as
follows:

strPath = "M:\Quotes\" & strFaxes & Application.PathSeparator

'Get file name from document table _
(First table, third row, second column)
strName = ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(7, 2).Range.Text
'Remove cell marker from string
strName = Left(strName, Len(strName) - 2)

'Set the new path you wish to use
ChangeFileOpenDirectory (strPath)
With Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs)
.Name = strName & ".doc"
'If the user pressed "Save"
If .Display = -1 Then
'Execute the dialog
.Execute
End If
End With

No luck though... it just keeps opening my documents to save as usual and
the document name is still the default!

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

"Chr1551" wrote:

Thank you both for your help. I'm using Word 2003 and have a table in my
document, I was hoping that I could use one of the cells in the table to name
the file eg. the Quote Reference cell.

Try this variation of my earlier code:

Dim strPath As String
Dim strName As String

Const strQuotes As String = "Quotes"
Const strFaxes As String = "Faxes"

'Get template name...
If InStr(1, ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate.Name, strQuotes) > 0 Then
strPath = "C:\" & strQuotes & Application.PathSeparator
Else
strPath = "C:\" & strFaxes & Application.PathSeparator
End If

'Get file name from document table _
(First table, third row, second column)
strName = ActiveDocument.Tables(1).Cell(3, 2).Range.Text
'Remove cell marker from string
strName = Left(strName, Len(strName) - 2)

'Set the new path you wish to use
ChangeFileOpenDirectory (strPath)
With Dialogs(wdDialogFileSaveAs)
.Name = strName & ".doc"
'If the user pressed "Save"
If .Display = -1 Then
'Execute the dialog
.Execute
End If
End With

But, this code will probably have to be modified depending on the exact
content of the target cell...

  • Re: Saving to a specific file with a specific file name
    ... I opened the one for quotes and opened the VBA editor and clicked ... I changed the cell reference and then modified the top code as ... strName = ActiveDocument.Tables.Cell.Range.Text ... Dim strPath As String ...
    (microsoft.public.word.vba.general)
  • Re: RefEdit in UDF ?
    ... Function RandName(ElementList As String) As String ... Dim R As Range ... define a name of "TheName" (no quotes) to refer to A1:A10. ... in cell C1, ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
  • Re: removing quotes in a text
    ... If there are quotes then they're strings at this point, ... Requires string or character array input. ... NB the difference between 's' a character string and 'c', a cell array containing a string. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: removing quotes in a text
    ... Requires string or character array input. ... NB the difference between 's' a character string and 'c', a cell array containing a string. ... Note, especially the fact the quotes "show up" in the cell representation at the command line even though they're not actually in the string, just delimiters of the cellstring. ...
    (comp.soft-sys.matlab)
  • Re: Help with tidying up code please
    ... Dim MyStr As String ... Dim strName As String ... Clears the contents and then inserts the date in the first cell of the new ...
    (microsoft.public.excel.programming)