Re: word 2003 spell checker doesn't work

BT wrote:
I am soo sorry to answer so late:
the underliner is wavy red
What was strange, was that on one instance the spell checker did suggest the right spelling , I closed down the computer and it didn't suggest anything anymore. What I use is a right click on the underlined word. There are no grayed areas. The language is right.

DeanH wrote:
You don't describe the "underliner" you are seeing.
ie:
Red wavy - usually indicates a spelling error
Green wavy - usually indicates a grammar error
Purple dots - usually indicates a SmartTag
see "What do the underlines in my document mean?" in the Help for descriptions of these indicators and more. Commonly, the probelm is due to a function under the Spelling and Grammar facility.
To check do the following:
1. Select all (Ctrl+A to select the whole document).
2. Double click on the language button at the bottom of the Word window (or Tools, Language, Set Language).
3. Select the Language as required in top section of the dialog box.
4. Clear the "Do Not Check Spelling or Grammar" check box. While here also clear the "Detect language automatically" if this is checked. Clear means the box does not have a tick or is grey (if grey - click twice).
5. OK.
The document should now be open to spelling and grammar checking.

Spell check is a formatting attribute of the text. If you copy formatted text from another document then the formatting will come with it and if that include the no proofing option, then that's what you get. You need to either re-apply the proofing parameter (as described above) or use Paste Special Unformatted Text so that the formatting of the destination is adopted.
Also see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm.

Hope this helps
DeanH

"BT" wrote:

BT wrote:
Hi sorry to bother you but I don't seem to find an answer to my problem.
The texte I write in word is underliner when I make an error but ther are no suggestions. It relates to simple words that should be suggested.
Any idea what I should do?
I would be grateful for an answer anybody an idea? It might have to do with with reinstalling dictionnaries or finding other ones but then how and where?

I might have made a mistake in putting my answer at the top of the text so I copied it back here at the end:

BT wrote:
> I am soo sorry to answer so late:
> the underliner is wavy red
> What was strange, was that on one instance the spell checker did suggest
> the right spelling , I closed down the computer and it didn't suggest
> anything anymore. What I use is a right click on the underlined word.
> There are no grayed areas. The language is right.

  • Re: What is the language "British"?
    ... Because when you use your computer, you want it to use your language, ... country incorrectly spelling things, ... a complete pain trying to work around the American spell checker. ... Copyright 2006 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Spell checker bug - cost big $$$
    ... to Tools | Language | Set Language, and make sure that the appropriate ... language is selected and that neither "Do not check spelling or grammar" or ... > what I can only call a bug in the Word spell checker. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Word 2004 Spellcheck Question
    ... For spelling & grammar purposes Language is handled as a formatting ... is "formatted" as UK English. ... Is there a way to force the Spell Checker to recognize that the idiom it's ...
    (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
  • Re: Why wont spell checker work on some desktops?
    ... Select the entire document and go to Tools | Language | Set Language. ... Also check the settings on the Spelling & ... Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org ... > spell checker won't work on theirs. ...
  • Re: OT: Anthony Weiner Admits Lying About Risque Photos, etc
    ... not change the spelling of the abbreviation. ... like they don't matter to Palin. ... I know your language. ... is, probably none, because you don't know German. ...
    (rec.music.classical.recordings)