Useful example to explain headers and footers?

Any idea of a useful object lesson to explain how headers and footers
work?

I am doing training for the administration team in our organization on
Monday and I know headers and footers can be very confusing (so
confusing that we often get documents from engineers with the request
to "fix the headers and footers" after they have given up on making
them behave after changing a few sections to landscape, back to
portrait, etc.)

We have Word 2003 SP2 in our organization
You start with Section 1. Give it a blank header and footer.
If you add a section break, you have a Section 2.
Go into Page Setup and check "Different page"
Under First Page Section 2 Header make "Header a" and Footer "Footer
a"
Then put a new page in the document and go to header footer. Make it
Header "Header a" and Footer "Footer a" (WITHOUT taking off the Same
as Previous)

When they go back to the first page of the document (Section 1) and
see that it says "Header a" and "Footer a" They are very confused.
I'm trying to think of example to explain the different "Categories"
that a header and footer field can be filled by. And how Same as
Previous affects previous headers, but only within the same category.
Not just later ones. (There is a persistent thought somehow that what
you do on any section will only cascade through the rest of the
document. For example, if Section 2 is pages 2-11 of the document,
and you go in to page 6 and hit "View Header/Footer" -- they expect it
to only change pages 6 through the end of the document, not every page
in the section plus possibly previous and next sections as well
depending on how the various options are set.)

  • Re: unlink Footer/Header in VBA
    ... AutoText it will bring the section break with it. ... Header, a footer and Bibliography all in one. ... Bibliography" and another for "Footer for Bibliography". ...
    (microsoft.public.word.vba.general)
  • Re: Header and Footer with RichTextBox Control
    ... I send the footer and header to RTB when it is prining but I ... In that case the RTB will print its contents within that area of the page and you will know exactly what the minimum top and bottom margins of the printed pages will be. ... If the above is approximately what you are currently doing then all you need to do is print the header and the footer within the specified top and bottom margins, normally with the "nearest to the edge" vertical position of the header or footer text about half of the margin size from the edge of the page. ...
  • Re: MS Word 2007 .dotx can not remember Password protection on re-
    ... (I select the all area of the Document, except Header and Footer to be fully ... Than I put Save as .dot or .dotx. ... before the input the Source code in that Document or what. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Trying to number two sections of doc two different ways
    ... I've tried directions from the Office website and Help and I can't get this ... beginning of the page where you want to start varying the header or footer. ... 2.On the Page Layout tab, in the Page Setup group, click Breaks, and then ...
    (microsoft.public.word.newusers)
  • Fixer Footer pro Seite mit schwarzem Rand rundherum
    ... Ich will Mehrspaltensatz mit Header und Footer erreichen, ... ganze Seite mit einem schwarzen Rand umgeben ist. ... | Footer bla fasel di dingsbums und so weiter mit viel Text | ...
    (de.comp.text.tex)