How To Improve Stability of Simple List Styles?

Hi,
Before developing my Word templates, I read all the material I could on Word
numbering, especially that of the tremendously helpful mvps.org web site.

I'm happy with the results, but I am concerned with the longer-term
stability of my numbering styles, and would appreciate any suggestions from
an expert. The following is my current design, and if there is anything else
I can do to ensure stability of my numbered styles, I'd love to know.

1) I only use simple numbered lists. I do not use any outline numbering or
list styles. (I accomplish heading numbering entirely through SEQ fields,
which is very reliable.)

2) For procedural information, I have defined two styles with numbering: "L1
num" and "L2 num alpha" using gallery positions 1 & 2. The first is a numeric
list that I use as level 1 and the second is an alphabetic list that I use as
level 2.

3) For metadata (hidden, internal-use styles), I have defined three sets of
styles with label numbering (that is, text labels instead of numbers):
"BaseHist," "BasePubs," and "BaseWork" using gallery position 7 for all
three. The formatting for these styles is identical, except for the text
label ("History," "TechPubs," and "Work"). I have defined three or more
derived styles from each of these base styles, and they are identical to the
base style except for the style name. For example, "HistEdit,"
"HistProdInfo," and "HistProbRpt." So when I create metadata in the document,
I apply one of the derived styles, which have the base style numbering label
to easily identify the category (e.g., "History") and a style name that
identifies the type of information (e.g., "HistEdit" for editorial changes).

Generally, this seems pretty stable, but occasionally if I use the Organizer
to copy the styles into a template, the link to the list template gets broken
and the text labels and numbering disappears. Originally, I used three
different gallery positions for the base metadata styles, but I had problems
with that, so I changed them to use the same position (position 7).

The template is in Word 2002.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

John

  • Re: ARGH again! Numbers, templates, styles, sharing with others
    ... Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org ... > styles use numbering or bullets. ... I attached my template to my files. ... > 1) Chapters often have several numbered lists. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs)
  • Re: Word 2007 Paragraph numbering/restart numbering; Legal doc
    ... Legal Numbering being explained was exactly what I need. ... select the number style for the Level 3 paragraph of your ... If you are creating a template then you may want to create a new ... That way the old Lists won't be ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: problem with outline numbering
    ... possible you would lose the list template as well, but, as I say, you would ... >> to "restart numbering" after a higher-level style). ... >> styles couldn't be set up individual numbered lists (ordinary numbered ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • RE: restart numbering/style creation strategy
    ... user's should follow to restart numbering. ... some documents have many lists ... templates in documents, changing list template names, and losing links ...
    (microsoft.public.word.pagelayout)
  • RE: restart numbering/style creation strategy
    ... some documents have many lists ... that need to restart at number 1. ... templates in documents, changing list template names, and losing links ... restart numbering is creating instability! ...
    (microsoft.public.word.pagelayout)