Re: APA style formatting with et. al.

The language specific settings are hardcoded into Word. They are
passed along together with the sources to the formatting engine. There
is no way to change/update those as far as I can tell. (It is possible
from within the formatting stylesheet, but it would seem
counterproductive to go that way.)

The problem with your request is that all in-text citations (even the
grouped ones) are coded independently. So, it is not possible to say
if some in-text citations has been used before within the same text.

If you want to change the number of authors to display, you will have
to do it for all in-text citations, not just for the first or second
or third one ... That said, the style you would have to update would
be located at <WinWord.exe directory>\Bibliography\Style\APA.xsl .

Yves