Re: Opening an Inserted Object (PDF)

Having looked a little further into this, it appears that if the object is
embedded into the document (as opposed to linked to the file) there is no
relationship remaining in the document (including a filename reference) to
the original document. Even saving as a web page will not extract the
original file. The implication is that the document in question is corrupt.
You can view the underlying structure of the document using the script
editor (SHIFT+ALT+F11) but this will not tell you why these PDF files will
not open :(

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

KC wrote:
Graham, all looks good on the file associations. Since I am able to
open some files and not others, I thought that this might be setup
properly.

Do you happen to know if there is a way to show, and perhaps extract
an embeded file without having to open it first? This way I can be
sure that the problematic files have the proper extension?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Check the Windows file association for PDF to ensure that it has
quotes around the %1 in the open with string: eg for Acrobat 6
"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe" "%1"

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

KC wrote:
Thanks Graham. I did run a few tests and determined that no matter
how this Word document was opened (directly from the Sharepoint site
or saving to the desktop and opening) I received the same error. The
odd thing is that sometimes if there are word docs with multiple PDF
files attached, I can open one just fine and not the other. I also
posted this issue on the Sharepoint groups, however after running
those tests and removing Sharepoint from the equation, I really
think that this is a Word or maybe even an Adobe issue.

-KC

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

This seems to be a problem related to Sharepoint (about which I
know nothing). All that inserting an object as an icon does is
provide a link to an embedded PDF file. Double clicking associates
the PDF with the application configured in Windows to open PDF
files - in your case that should be Acrobat. Here Sharepoint is
presumably getting in the way of that relationship. What happens
if instead of opening from Sharepoint you open the file directly
in Word from the hard drive?

--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

KC wrote:
To All,

I am trying to solve a very inconsistent problem with Word 2003
and Acrobat 6/7.

I have a Word documents that we embed a PDF file into (Insert
Object>Adobe Acrobat> check display as icon) and then route to
staff using Sharepoint Services.

What happens incosistantly is that when a user opens the word file
from Sharepoint, and then double clicks the PDF icon to open the
file the first of two errors are displayed:

There was an error opening this document. File does not being with
%PDF-',

You click OK to that one to get the next error:

This object was created in AcroExch.
THis application is not available to open this object.
Make sure that the application is properly installed and that is
had not been deleted, moved, or renamed.

I assure you that Acrobat works just fine. In fact both Acrobat
and Reader are installed on most of these machines.

I have ran tests to confirm that the version of Acrobat used 6 or
7 does not appear to be a cause of these errors.

I read some article that said something that "Word is not
especially adept at handling PDF files". Whats this all about?
Can this be true?
http://www.mcse.ms/archive264-2005-10-1887946.html

Anyone have any comments, thoughts or suggestions?

I would even be open to ideas on how to route word and multiple
PDF files together using SHarepoint. COnverting them all to DOC
or PDF and attaching them will not work. There are simple too
many pages on each file to do that, they need to be seperated.
The Word Document also had change tracking enabled so that it
acted as a form for sign offs and notes.

Thanks!
KC

  • Re: Opening an Inserted Object (PDF)
    ... Word document was opened (directly from the Sharepoint site or saving to the ... sometimes if there are word docs with multiple PDF files attached, ... I also posted this issue on the Sharepoint ... What happens incosistantly is that when a user opens the word file ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: IE 6 opens blank page with placeholder when linking to a .pdf file
    ... Acrobat opens a blank page: ... Visit the Internet Explorer Online Community: ... > the same version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. ... > it back to opening .pdf files in IE? ...
  • Re: Opening an Inserted Object (PDF)
    ... This seems to be a problem related to Sharepoint (about which I know ... Acrobat 6/7. ... I have a Word documents that we embed a PDF file into (Insert ... What happens incosistantly is that when a user opens the word file ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Opening an Inserted Object (PDF)
    ... Check the Windows file association for PDF to ensure that it has quotes ... how this Word document was opened (directly from the Sharepoint site ... your case that should be Acrobat. ... What happens incosistantly is that when a user opens the word file ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Print PDF files using Visual Basic
    ... them regardless if they are Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or PDF files. ... The rest of the staff has Acrobat 9 and when the ... Dim AcroExchApp As Acrobat.CAcroApp ... It opens the file and gets the page count, ...