Re: "HTML Source" greyed out in View menu

Hi Shirley:

That filter won't prevent you from editing pages in Word, it simply thins
out the XML Word adds to an HTML document.

Word does not write "HTML". It never has. HTML is a simple language
designed to describe web pages and be very compact. HTML does not have
sufficient "words" in its vocabulary to describe a Word document.

So: Word has always written "XML", 'Extensible Markup Language'. This is a
much richer language that will fully describe a Word document (it's the
format chosen as the native format for the Office 2007 applications).

Regrettably, someone in Marketing decided years ago that we were too stupid
to understand the difference. So they labelled Word's feature "HTML" and
produced a "Save as Web Page" command. Well, it's not HTML, and it never
was. They were sort-of correct about the web page -- an increasing number
of "web pages" are now coded in XML, because their authors came up against
the same restriction the Word designers encountered: if you want all of the
features of a Word documents, such as headers and footers and page breaks
and dynamic content, you need a richer language than HTML to transmit it.

What HTML Filter 2 does is enable you to control "how much" simplification
of your web pages occurs when you save. I used it extensively for making
websites with Word 2000. You get the choice. If you check all the boxes,
you get a very lightweight webpage that almost all browsers will display.
If you don't check any, you get a full XML page that almost exactly
replicates the Word document (an only late versions of Microsoft Internet
Explorer can actually display properly).

On the corporate intranet, I used to turn the filter up about half way, so
people who wanted the pages to open in Word would still have that ability.
On the external Internet, I turned the filter flat out so people working
from home on dialup wouldn't have to wait minutes for their pages.

If you're going to be doing a "lot" of web work in Word 2000, I recommend
you get hold of that filter and try it out. Particularly, investigate the
extra options you get with the little user interface (the filter can run as
a stand-alone program) and the full set of options you get if you run it in
batch mode from the command line.

Having installed it, be careful when you upgrade: the next versions of
Office will try to remove HTML Filter 2. Don't let them: it's seriously
handy for difficult cases, you will want to keep it around :-)

Hope this helps

On 28/3/06 5:55 AM, in article
1327F602-F168-4920-8750-341D3B97530B@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Shirley Starke"
<ShirleyStarke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thank you! I found the answer - which was probably so simple that you assumed
I had tried it in the first place. I remembered that there was an option in
Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, to enable features in Office, and
wondered if I had to add the HTML Editor. It turned out that I did - I added
it from the CD, and now it is working fine.

I've thought of getting that filter, but haven't done it yet since I
sometimes edit my web pages on the server, and later FTP them back to my
computer and edit them again in Word. If I used the filter, I assume, I
wouldn't be able to to that. Some of them are very long, but they seem to
open in a reasonable amount of time, even with my dial-up connection.

Thanks again!

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macinto" wrote:

Hi Shirley:

You're sure the document concerned IS in HTML format?

Sorry: that's all I can think of.

There was an add-in for Word 2000: Microsoft HTML Filter 2. You need to
insure that that is installed and stays that way.

Hope this helps

On 27/3/06 5:06 PM, in article
DA5D4C5C-A085-453D-BE2A-1C657CD9F09A@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Shirley Starke"
<ShirleyStarke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"HTML Source" is greyed out in my View menu in Word 2000 - with any and all
documents. The problem may (or may not) have started when I installed the
latest critical updates. Perhaps I have to do something to enable the HTML
editor, but I have not been able to find a way to do this in Word. I would
greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

  • Re: "HTML Source" greyed out in View menu
    ... Your page is absolutely FULL of XML and vector markup language and all ... I can't remember all the settings available in HTML Filter 2, ... That lists all the filter switches you can use if you run the thing from the ... browsers will use the stretchable VML images, ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Does Word 2007 save doc as html with relative font size?
    ... Microsoft MVP (Word) ... Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org ... Back in Office 2000 Microsoft provided a filtering tool (MS Filter, ... MSFT decided that Front Page should be used for HTML ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • ANN: FastReport 3.11 released
    ... Turkish and Arabic languages in the PDF export filter ... verbose output of the server errors in the HTML mode ... fixed the bug of the diagonal line export ...
  • Re: "HTML Source" greyed out in View menu
    ... not, I should probably use the filter on it, and on my other pages as well. ... Word does not write "HTML". ... sufficient "words" in its vocabulary to describe a Word document. ... Microsoft MVP, ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Bogus Email- Need help to do detective work
    ... trying to write laws to control it. ... that do not provide good filter and isolation services. ... Of interest my "spamassassin" settings flagged and isolated my own ... I am not down on HTML, it is marvelous and has it's place. ...
    (Fedora)