Re: How to I lock a template for modification only?

You can't do this unless macros are enabled. The user can always disable
macros.

What I do in some of my Add-Ins (that would never be used to create a new
document) is have an AutoNew macro that opens the template and closes the
new document without saving. You could do an AutoOpen macro that (1) tests
to see if the ActiveDocument is a template or a document, and (2) if a
template, creates a new document based on the template and closes the
template. You could have it first ask for a password and if the password
were typed in, just leave the template open. The password could be hard
coded or could be a document variable. This is not secure, at all, but would
keep someone from accidentally opening and changing your template. You can
also store the template as read-only (at the operating system level, not
using Word's read-only setting).

I would, instead, or in addition, train users to use File>New to access
templates, or create a templates menu for the standard templates.
http://addbalance.com/word/templatesmenu.htm
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"PegSCK" <PegSCK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I want to lock the template so that if someone opens it from Word, i.e. it
opens as a .dot document, they would be required to enter a password. But
if
they double-click on the template, it should just open a new document
without
requiring a password.

  • Re: Open User Form from Template and populate message
    ... I do not care that my security settings ask me to enable macros. ... The intention is to make a self contained macro in the template that only ... Having macros that activate when Outlook ... opens is not an option due to it compromising system security. ...
    (microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba)
  • Re: Understanding Macros
    ... You're producing a template, and you are going to send that template to your ... the toolbar, with its button, which runs the main macro. ... Do Alt-F11 to open up the macros. ... opens again in Visual Basic and I get this window: Compile error: ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Macros not being enabled on Word Form
    ... macros are not included in the template you distribute - and not that they ... Since the template opens as a document, ... Double-clicking a template opens a document based on the template - not the ... The word dot. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.tables)
  • Re: Help
    ... This problem is probably nothing to do with your code, but is more likely to do with the fact that you have edited the code many times and are suffering from a touch of template bloat. ... Existing document, select the relevant template, Click Open *Enable Macros*. ... files list it does not work and although the file opens - when you try to ... Dim aField As Field ...
    (microsoft.public.word.vba.general)
  • Re: Templates and Macros
    ... including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros, ... Here is some general info on moving from Word Perfect to Word: ... As for converting documents from Word Perfect to _use_ in Word... ... this new document as a Word template. ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)