Re: Select encoding to make your document readable.

Hi =?Utf-8?B?R2FyZXRo?=,

> I have a large amount of documents stored on my hardrive, occassionally when
> I go to open some of these documents I am presented with the following
> dialogue box 'select the encoding that makes your document readable'.
> However, there is no encoding available that makes the document readable and
> so the document is lost.
> Can you please help, I have spent hours trawling the WWW and the Word
> Knowledge Base but cannot find any suggestion of 1) why the problem occurs in
> the first place or 2) how to rectyfy the problem when it occurs...

Apparently, the internal structures of the documents have been damaged, so that
Word is no longer recognizing them. Are you able to open them by choosing
"Recover text from any document" in the File type list in the File Open dialog
box?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

  • Select encoding to make your document readable.
    ... I have a large amount of documents stored on my hardrive, ... dialogue box 'select the encoding that makes your document readable'. ... Knowledge Base but cannot find any suggestion of 1) why the problem occurs in ... the first place or 2) how to rectyfy the problem when it occurs... ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Paul Holland re CB
    ... not wanting to share CB's private information with me or the newsgroup ... in that regard he is 'equal opportunity' ... any law enforcement office would need only a scant amount of time to ... find who and where he is - he's not hiding from anyone. ...
    (alt.med.fibromyalgia)
  • Re: New UK genealogical site
    ... site on this newsgroup, because of the amount of negativity here. ... There are some features of the site that I feel do make it ...
    (soc.genealogy.britain)
  • Matts DOM Utils (Utils): Alpha Release
    ... counter-productive to the purpose of this newsgroup, ... topics has yielded a vast amount of knowledge both in JavaScript ... from full support of IE 5, and two stumbling blocks from ... the traverse module I've created, ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)
  • Re: Blank inbox after receiving email in Outlook Express
    ... Tools, Options, Read, Fonts, Western European for the default encoding. ... Use the following newsgroup for questions or problems with OE5 ... You will find out information about issues affecting Outlook Express 5/6 at: ...
    (microsoft.public.internet.mail)