Word documents spontaneously become read-only

I've had the same problem for a couple years. I don't remember when it started, but it may have been with installing Office 2007.

When working on a Word document (stored on a local drive), usually I can edit and save normally. But once in a while, when I save, I get the message "This file is read-only." followed by the path and file name in parentheses. The Read-only file attribute in Explorer is always CLEAR when this happens (the attribute is clear before, during, and after the problem).

This problem occurs on all three machines I use, on both XP and Win7. My solution is to save the file with a new name, delete the old file, and rename the new file to the old file name. This works, but it's a pain.

Selv wrote:

Why do all Word documents become read-only?
19-Mar-08

Recently, when editing information in one of my word documents, I am
prompted to do another copy because the original is a "read-only" copy. I do
not see anything marked in Security. How come this is happening and how do I
eliminate it?

Learner: I am my own administrator

On Wednesday, March 19, 2008 5:26 PM