Re: Global Template was opened read-only access. Do you want to save c

Try checking normal.dot with Word closed. Is it read-only? Is it in a folder
to which you do not have edit rights? It should be in the folder listed
under Tools > Options > File Locations for User Templates. That folder's
name should not be 1033 or other combination of numbers.

For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Tom" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I keep getting this error when i close word:

"Word cannot save chanegs to the global template because it was opened
with
read-only access. do you want to save the changes in a template with a
different name?"

i always select no... but this window is so annoying.

I found and read a thread relating to global template change errors.
Following the thread I checked my add-ins and coms, but no add-ins or coms
are listed. Also, I executed windows with this command: Winword.exe /a and
word does load quicker and doesn't have the global template error window.
So,
I'm baffled. Is there another location for add-ins that i missed in the
tool
menu? help!

Tom

  • RE: word error
    ... your Normal.dot template may be infected with a macro virus. ... How to remove WLL add-ins and templates in the Word and Office Startup ... Startup folder is causing the problem, ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Global template changes
    ... You do *not* want to disable the "Prompt to save Normal template" option. ... please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so ... They are not necessarily in any folder. ... >>> Add-Ins is not a bad ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: Word 2007 Problem
    ... I renamed the normal template as you suggested. ... Went to the templates folder and there was no ... Rename ... If the problem is still present, disable or uninstall any add-ins. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Global template changes
    ... prompt to save normal template! ... This message is posted to a newsgroup. ... They are not necessarily in any folder. ... >>> Add-Ins is not a bad ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)
  • Re: How do I set up automatically suceeding numbers in Word?
    ... macros in this project are disabled. ... If I put shortcuts to my template folder in the folder on the server I can ... with an error window that says "Compile error: ...
    (microsoft.public.word.docmanagement)