Re: Compatibility issue

You have to do a "Sysgen", not just a "Build and Sysgen Current BSP". They
do different things. Anytime you change which BSP you are targeting, change
from building a Debug version to a Retail version, etc., you need to do a
Sysgen. It would be worthwhile to read this:

http://guruce.com/blogpost/whattobuildwhen

Paul T.

"HamiltonCusin" <HamiltonCusin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello Everyone...

I contact the verndor of the board and now i have the correct BSP (at
least
that's what they say) but i am still having the same issue. After i build
and
sysgen the current BSP, i load the nk.bin file into a flash card (using a
disk builder supplied by the vendor) and when i put the flash card into
the
device and turn it on, it loads, but the screen becomes blank after it
loads.
I would much prefer to connect the device to platform builder through a
Ethernet but that does not work either. Even though i connect it to my
development machine, i cannot see it on platform builder.
The way i see it, there are two things that can possibly be going wrong:

- the disk builder does not build the disk correclty with the image file
- the image file itself is no good.

Does anyone has any idea how i could test those 2 possibilities??

thanks

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" wrote:

And, as long as the BSP is installed, you can always change which BSP you
are targeting after the OS configuration has been established. If, for
example, you're building for version 1.0 of your hardware that happens to
be
based on an x86 processor and, later, you build version 2.0 of the
hardware
and it's ARM-based, you can install the BSP for that, add it to your OS
build configuration, and select either one as the target of a build.

Paul T.

"HamiltonCusin" <HamiltonCusin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
I figured that... and that is being my biggest pain in the neck....

Thanks anywyas....

"Dean Ramsier" wrote:

Yes you are. But it will only work if the BSP you select happens to
match
your board. You need to get the BSP from the vendor, install it, pick
that
BSP, and build it.

The part about getting the BSP from the vendor is the key statement
here...

--
Dean Ramsier - eMVP
BSQUARE Corporation

"HamiltonCusin" <HamiltonCusin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
Hello Paul...

One quick question, this whole conversation about BSPs got me
thinking,
when
i use the wizard to start building a new platform with platform
builder,
dont
i choose the BSP already? And then when i build the image, am i not
building
it for that BSP that i choose with the wizard??

thanks

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" wrote:

BSP = Board Support Package -- a set of software components that
provide
services to the operating system itself so that it will run on the
targeted
hardware. That is, it's a bunch of support code for your specific
board.
Note that it's a *Board* Support Package, NOT a processor support
package.
It's nice that you have processor whatever, but you can't build a
BSP
for
processor; it includes information that is external to the
processor,
but
specific to your hardware (how does PCMCIA work, for example? what
external
device interrupts are connected to what interrupt inputs on the
processor
or
chipset?)

You must have the BSP *for your hardware* *for Windows CE 5.0* to
build
Windows CE 5.0 for it. Boot disk has nothing to do with this,
other
than
the BSP might include a suitable bootloader which might be on your
boot
disk. You can't build a functional operating system for your
hardware
without the correct BSP.

Once you have the correct BSP for your *board*, you can build the
OS.
At
that point, you may need a boot disk, whatever that is, or a
suitable
program in ROM on the device to connect to Platform Builder and
download
the
OS image, nk.bin. Presumably, the boot disk will contain a
suitable
bootloader that will make the connection to Platform Builder but,
again,
without information about how that's supposed to work (presumably
you'd
get
that from the device vendor), we can't really tell you what to do.
My
devices don't have disks (neither do most Windows CE devices), so
exactly
what this boot disk does is not clear.

I think that you should be talking to support for the device vendor
for
these sorts of questions, Tell them what you've told us: I have
this
device; I want to run Windows CE 5.0 on it; what do I do?
Presumably,
if
they have Windows CE 5.0 support, they'll be able to give you
instructions
on how to use it. If not, again, you have to start by creating
your
BSP
and
there's no way we can walk you step-by-step through that in a
newsgroup
post.

Paul T.

"HamiltonCusin" <HamiltonCusin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
Hello Paul

Thank you so much for the response.
And you are right, i am confusing things. God bless the forum...
When you say BSP, you are refering to the Hardware that's used in
my
device,
correct? If so, as far as i could find out, my device has a Geode
uP.
Also, my biggest problem was that i was never able to connect the
device
with development machine. I'd created the boot disk, but i always
got a
"INVALID BOOT DISK" error. so i contact the manufactor for my
device
and
they
provided my with a boot disk creator application, that would
creat
the
image
disk (CF) based on the image file i built using the Platform
Builder.
And
that's when i had the problem with the blank screen. So i never
even
got
the point of using the debugger. Like i said i was never able to
connect
Platform Builder with the device (i do connect the "network", but
could
never see the device listed on the ethernet settings).

I hope i could clear things up a little bit. and again thanks a
lot
for
the
help.

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" wrote:

You don't seem to understand how this operating system
development
stuff
works. Windows CE is not *an* operating system. It's many,
many
different
operating systems, configurable for any device running a
supported
processor. In order to take hardware that worked with CE.NET
(version?),
and build an appropriate operating system based on Windows CE
5.0,
you'll
have to port the board support package that you used in CE.NET
work
with
CE5 or create a new board support package for your hardware that
works
with
CE5. The help covers what you have to do in either case.

Once you have the BSP, you'll have to build an operating system
configuration (select what pieces of Windows CE belong in the OS
for
your
device), in Platform Builder, and build that configuration,
targeting
the
board support package that you ported above. That built
operating
system
should at least start running on your hardware (although you
might
have
any
number of problems with interrupt assignments, wrong drivers
loaded,
etc.)
At that point, you should be able to use the kernel debugger in
Platform
Builder to capture the debug messages from a DEBUG build of your
operating
system and figure out what's going wrong, if anything.

You haven't given us enough information to even begin to suggest
what
specifically might be wrong for you... No debug messages, no
idea
of
what
your hardware is, etc.

Paul T.

"HamiltonCusin" <HamiltonCusin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
in
message
Hello Everyone....
I have a device that ran with windows CE .net. My company is
thinking
about
aquiring windoes CE 5.0 or later. So i used the downloadble
version
run
some tests on that device. The device is an Advantech PPc105t.
When
build
the image with Platform Builder 5.0, the device starts, but
then
screen
is
blank and nothing happens. so I tested with the original image
file
(which
assume was created with platform builder 4.2) and it works. My
question
is:
is this possible, or am I dreaming? Am I doomed to use 4.2
forever?
I am new to windows CE, that's the reason for this type of
question..

Thanks

.