Re: Compatibility issue

Thanks Paul. Thats exactly what i need. I apreciate. I have already asked
them for the BSP files, so lets see what it does.

Thanks again....

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" wrote:

BSP = Board Support Package -- a set of software components that provide
services to the operating system itself so that it will run on the targeted
hardware. That is, it's a bunch of support code for your specific board.
Note that it's a *Board* Support Package, NOT a processor support package.
It's nice that you have processor whatever, but you can't build a BSP for a
processor; it includes information that is external to the processor, but
specific to your hardware (how does PCMCIA work, for example? what external
device interrupts are connected to what interrupt inputs on the processor or
chipset?)

You must have the BSP *for your hardware* *for Windows CE 5.0* to build
Windows CE 5.0 for it. Boot disk has nothing to do with this, other than
the BSP might include a suitable bootloader which might be on your boot
disk. You can't build a functional operating system for your hardware
without the correct BSP.

Once you have the correct BSP for your *board*, you can build the OS. At
that point, you may need a boot disk, whatever that is, or a suitable
program in ROM on the device to connect to Platform Builder and download the
OS image, nk.bin. Presumably, the boot disk will contain a suitable
bootloader that will make the connection to Platform Builder but, again,
without information about how that's supposed to work (presumably you'd get
that from the device vendor), we can't really tell you what to do. My
devices don't have disks (neither do most Windows CE devices), so exactly
what this boot disk does is not clear.

I think that you should be talking to support for the device vendor for
these sorts of questions, Tell them what you've told us: I have this
device; I want to run Windows CE 5.0 on it; what do I do? Presumably, if
they have Windows CE 5.0 support, they'll be able to give you instructions
on how to use it. If not, again, you have to start by creating your BSP and
there's no way we can walk you step-by-step through that in a newsgroup
post.

Paul T.

"HamiltonCusin" <HamiltonCusin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello Paul

Thank you so much for the response.
And you are right, i am confusing things. God bless the forum...
When you say BSP, you are refering to the Hardware that's used in my
device,
correct? If so, as far as i could find out, my device has a Geode uP.
Also, my biggest problem was that i was never able to connect the device
with development machine. I'd created the boot disk, but i always got a
"INVALID BOOT DISK" error. so i contact the manufactor for my device and
they
provided my with a boot disk creator application, that would creat the
image
disk (CF) based on the image file i built using the Platform Builder. And
that's when i had the problem with the blank screen. So i never even got
the point of using the debugger. Like i said i was never able to connect
Platform Builder with the device (i do connect the "network", but i could
never see the device listed on the ethernet settings).

I hope i could clear things up a little bit. and again thanks a lot for
the
help.

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" wrote:

You don't seem to understand how this operating system development stuff
works. Windows CE is not *an* operating system. It's many, many
different
operating systems, configurable for any device running a supported
processor. In order to take hardware that worked with CE.NET (version?),
and build an appropriate operating system based on Windows CE 5.0, you'll
have to port the board support package that you used in CE.NET to work
with
CE5 or create a new board support package for your hardware that works
with
CE5. The help covers what you have to do in either case.

Once you have the BSP, you'll have to build an operating system
configuration (select what pieces of Windows CE belong in the OS for your
device), in Platform Builder, and build that configuration, targeting the
board support package that you ported above. That built operating system
should at least start running on your hardware (although you might have
any
number of problems with interrupt assignments, wrong drivers loaded,
etc.)
At that point, you should be able to use the kernel debugger in Platform
Builder to capture the debug messages from a DEBUG build of your
operating
system and figure out what's going wrong, if anything.

You haven't given us enough information to even begin to suggest what
specifically might be wrong for you... No debug messages, no idea of
what
your hardware is, etc.

Paul T.

"HamiltonCusin" <HamiltonCusin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message
Hello Everyone....
I have a device that ran with windows CE .net. My company is thinking
about
aquiring windoes CE 5.0 or later. So i used the downloadble version to
run
some tests on that device. The device is an Advantech PPc105t. When i
build
the image with Platform Builder 5.0, the device starts, but then screen
is
blank and nothing happens. so I tested with the original image file
(which
assume was created with platform builder 4.2) and it works. My question
is:
is this possible, or am I dreaming? Am I doomed to use 4.2 forever?
I am new to windows CE, that's the reason for this type of question..

Thanks

  • Re: Compatibility issue
    ... i use the wizard to start building a new platform with platform builder, ... it for that BSP that i choose with the wizard?? ... Windows CE 5.0 for it. ... Boot disk has nothing to do with this, ...
  • Re: Compatibility issue
    ... BSP, and build it. ... i use the wizard to start building a new platform with platform builder, ... Windows CE 5.0 for it. ... Boot disk has nothing to do with this, ...
  • Re: Compatibility issue
    ... But it will only work if the BSP you select happens to match ... i use the wizard to start building a new platform with platform builder, ... Windows CE 5.0 for it. ... Boot disk has nothing to do with this, ...
  • Re: Newbie to WCE!
    ... having "Windows" in the box gives you: ... that has a Windows CE BSP for it that uses that processor, ... As I surfed on the net in the search for some WCE compatible boards, ... All I want to know is can I buy a microcontroller chip (One of the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: Newbie to WCE!
    ... The reason why I didn't start with WCE three years ago when I first began my ... that offer Windows in a box, but at a 3A power consumption disadvantage!!!!! ... that has a Windows CE BSP for it that uses that processor, ... Windows CE, which is a full-blown operating system, just like Windows XP, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)