Re: Compatibility issue

Hello Paul

Thank you so much for the response.
And you are right, i am confusing things. God bless the forum...
When you say BSP, you are refering to the Hardware that's used in my device,
correct? If so, as far as i could find out, my device has a Geode uP.
Also, my biggest problem was that i was never able to connect the device
with development machine. I'd created the boot disk, but i always got a
"INVALID BOOT DISK" error. so i contact the manufactor for my device and they
provided my with a boot disk creator application, that would creat the image
disk (CF) based on the image file i built using the Platform Builder. And
that's when i had the problem with the blank screen. So i never even got to
the point of using the debugger. Like i said i was never able to connect
Platform Builder with the device (i do connect the "network", but i could
never see the device listed on the ethernet settings).

I hope i could clear things up a little bit. and again thanks a lot for the
help.

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" wrote:

You don't seem to understand how this operating system development stuff
works. Windows CE is not *an* operating system. It's many, many different
operating systems, configurable for any device running a supported
processor. In order to take hardware that worked with CE.NET (version?),
and build an appropriate operating system based on Windows CE 5.0, you'll
have to port the board support package that you used in CE.NET to work with
CE5 or create a new board support package for your hardware that works with
CE5. The help covers what you have to do in either case.

Once you have the BSP, you'll have to build an operating system
configuration (select what pieces of Windows CE belong in the OS for your
device), in Platform Builder, and build that configuration, targeting the
board support package that you ported above. That built operating system
should at least start running on your hardware (although you might have any
number of problems with interrupt assignments, wrong drivers loaded, etc.)
At that point, you should be able to use the kernel debugger in Platform
Builder to capture the debug messages from a DEBUG build of your operating
system and figure out what's going wrong, if anything.

You haven't given us enough information to even begin to suggest what
specifically might be wrong for you... No debug messages, no idea of what
your hardware is, etc.

Paul T.

"HamiltonCusin" <HamiltonCusin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello Everyone....
I have a device that ran with windows CE .net. My company is thinking
about
aquiring windoes CE 5.0 or later. So i used the downloadble version to run
some tests on that device. The device is an Advantech PPc105t. When i
build
the image with Platform Builder 5.0, the device starts, but then screen is
blank and nothing happens. so I tested with the original image file (which
assume was created with platform builder 4.2) and it works. My question
is:
is this possible, or am I dreaming? Am I doomed to use 4.2 forever?
I am new to windows CE, that's the reason for this type of question..

Thanks

  • When are MS going to update RAW Image Thumbnailer??
    ... This plugin is about 100 years old now, and is so out of date with the ... An operating system should come with the basics of everything you ... All the Windows adverts state you can do loads of really cool different ... The hardware, and the 3rd party ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos)
  • Re: UMAX ASTRA 610P SCANNER DRIVERS
    ... If the hardware you want to use works with the operating system ... you could continue to use Windows 98/ME. ... the Canon scanner was designed to be able ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Monitor Display Problem After Upgrade and W2K Pro Reinstall
    ... I am not an operating systems "expert" or a master hardware ... I'm having a minor problem with the desktop display on my monitor. ... have an IBM P200 21-inch monitor and I'm running Windows 2000 Pro, ... Prior to the operating system reinstall and hardware upgrade, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Key Loggers and other tracking devices
    ... you will want to find Boot ... to boot the machine from anything but the operating system on the hard drive ... setup of the users in Windows. ... hardware - put between the keyboard and where it plugs into the computer. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Getting started with WinCE and backporting.
    ... the detailed documentation about the internals of that hardware, ... The only other references that I can think of are the ... training classes, and the Platform Builder ... you can't use Windows Mobile. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)