Re: Compatibility issue

You don't seem to understand how this operating system development stuff
works. Windows CE is not *an* operating system. It's many, many different
operating systems, configurable for any device running a supported
processor. In order to take hardware that worked with CE.NET (version?),
and build an appropriate operating system based on Windows CE 5.0, you'll
have to port the board support package that you used in CE.NET to work with
CE5 or create a new board support package for your hardware that works with
CE5. The help covers what you have to do in either case.

Once you have the BSP, you'll have to build an operating system
configuration (select what pieces of Windows CE belong in the OS for your
device), in Platform Builder, and build that configuration, targeting the
board support package that you ported above. That built operating system
should at least start running on your hardware (although you might have any
number of problems with interrupt assignments, wrong drivers loaded, etc.)
At that point, you should be able to use the kernel debugger in Platform
Builder to capture the debug messages from a DEBUG build of your operating
system and figure out what's going wrong, if anything.

You haven't given us enough information to even begin to suggest what
specifically might be wrong for you... No debug messages, no idea of what
your hardware is, etc.

Paul T.

"HamiltonCusin" <HamiltonCusin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello Everyone....
I have a device that ran with windows CE .net. My company is thinking
about
aquiring windoes CE 5.0 or later. So i used the downloadble version to run
some tests on that device. The device is an Advantech PPc105t. When i
build
the image with Platform Builder 5.0, the device starts, but then screen is
blank and nothing happens. so I tested with the original image file (which
assume was created with platform builder 4.2) and it works. My question
is:
is this possible, or am I dreaming? Am I doomed to use 4.2 forever?
I am new to windows CE, that's the reason for this type of question..

Thanks

  • Re: I want to migrate to Linux
    ... Microsoft considers the x86 platform to still be what it was when it was ... Dirty Operating System"; not to be confused with the Q-DOS ... 1.x versions had a GUI called Presentation Manager, from which the Windows ... Thompson has stated that GNU/Linux and cousins are all de facto UNIX ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Newbie to WCE!
    ... Windows CE, which is a full-blown operating system, just like Windows XP, ... the chip maker for the BSP if they have one (there ... All I want to know is can I buy a microcontroller chip (One of the chips ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: I killed a friends computer!!
    ... You will not be able to use your Windows CD is your disk is a different ... In that same screen that give you the "last known good configuration" ... Nowhere is there a message about selecting an operating system. ... ....To disable an auto-start entry uncheck its check box. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • [Full-disclosure] - IRISH VIRUS - DoS Security Bypass and System access
    ... THE operating system ... Apple Computer Apple DOS ... Windows CE ... LOLDONGS Research, a Wholly Owned Subsidiary of Banned Town Security ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Novell Client login form enables reading and writing from and to the clipboard of the logged-in
    ... Novell Client for Windows, ... Anyone with access to the computer's local operating system console, ... inject its own textual content into the clipboard of the currently logged-in ...
    (Bugtraq)