Re: Do I always need an SDK in order to build drivers?

"Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" wrote:

This means that a version compiled for ARM
should work on all ARM platforms. No need to recompile against the
device SDK every time.

I just wanted to add a comment that there are different variations of
processors. For example there is the Thumb extension for ARM. I noticed that
if I have an SDK built for Thumb, I cannot use that to build a generic
non-Thumb ARM driver because it won't link with the libraries. But that's OK
because I'll just create a generic driver based on a non-Thumb SDK and I
presume it will run on any ARM system. For the case of SH processors, I don't
know. But that's less common and so doesn't really matter much.

Regarding the ARM emulator, I think that's probably more useful for
applications. I'm not sure how useful it can be when I really need to test my
driver with the actual hardware device. Although I will take a look.

  • Re: Do I always need an SDK in order to build drivers?
    ... The USB Stack itself takes care of any hardware specifics, so your USB Scanner Driver is generic for all platforms. ... This means that a version compiled for ARM should work on all ARM platforms. ... I had the customer export an SDK from Platform Builder and send it to me. ...
  • Do I always need an SDK in order to build drivers?
    ... I’ve a built a USB scanner driver for Windows CE 5.0. ... I had the customer export an SDK from Platform Builder and ... ARM platform. ... processor types x86, ARM, and MIPS and then give those out to everyone? ...
  • Re: Building ARM or MIPS Platform
    ... > CE.NET, you could use the standard SDK, it supports all the processors. ... > "Oliver Münchow" wrote in message ... >> need a SDK for a ARM and a MIPS processor. ...
  • Re: Do I always need an SDK in order to build drivers?
    ... processor types x86, ARM, and MIPS and then give those out to everyone? ... something that is not available on the target platform. ... platform that I had no SDK or BSP for. ...
  • Re: dll under CE.NET 5.0
    ... As it's using an ARM processor, can I simply do a Win32 project, and set the platform to PocketPC2003, as that targets an ARM processor? ... PPC is a *specific* set of APIs and components - so there is a standard PPC SDK, which is designed to work on all PPCs. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer)