Re: Do I always need an SDK in order to build drivers?

You can define the Windows CE components that your driver is dependent on
and tell your customers that they need to include those in their OS.

www.EuroTech.com

"minorguy" <minorguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

"Bradley Remedios" wrote:
I think that the main benefit to using the various SDKs is that it
could let you know at compile time that your software is using
something that is not available on the target platform. If you
_really_ need this functionality, I would probably look into creating
a build system to build all of the targets to take the bite out of
that work.

True, I was going to mention that. And it does happen that people don't
have
the required components. I think what I'm going to do is provide generic
drivers, then if the customer can't get it to work the first thing I'll do
is
request an SDK just to check that. But I hate to send people running
around
looking for SDKs when they might not be necessary. And it saves me a lot
of
effort and keeping track of many driver builds.

I would probably purchase ARM and MIPs systems that are simliar (if
not identical) to the systems that you will be targeting your software
for. I don't think that there is any "standard" or "recommended"
development platforms as that really just comes down to what the
requirements are for your product.

I don't really know what the target systems will be. Anything, really. If
it
exists, then I can guarantee you the sales guys will tell me they have a
customer that wants our driver to run on it. :-) (Sometimes I wish people
would just stop making more new operating systems.) But yeah, I guess if
can find something that is typical, that could work well enough.

Thanks.

.