Re: Do I always need an SDK in order to build drivers?

You can define the Windows CE components that your driver is dependent on
and tell your customers that they need to include those in their OS.

www.EuroTech.com

"minorguy" <minorguy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

"Bradley Remedios" wrote:
I think that the main benefit to using the various SDKs is that it
could let you know at compile time that your software is using
something that is not available on the target platform. If you
_really_ need this functionality, I would probably look into creating
a build system to build all of the targets to take the bite out of
that work.

True, I was going to mention that. And it does happen that people don't
have
the required components. I think what I'm going to do is provide generic
drivers, then if the customer can't get it to work the first thing I'll do
is
request an SDK just to check that. But I hate to send people running
around
looking for SDKs when they might not be necessary. And it saves me a lot
of
effort and keeping track of many driver builds.

I would probably purchase ARM and MIPs systems that are simliar (if
not identical) to the systems that you will be targeting your software
for. I don't think that there is any "standard" or "recommended"
development platforms as that really just comes down to what the
requirements are for your product.

I don't really know what the target systems will be. Anything, really. If
it
exists, then I can guarantee you the sales guys will tell me they have a
customer that wants our driver to run on it. :-) (Sometimes I wish people
would just stop making more new operating systems.) But yeah, I guess if
can find something that is typical, that could work well enough.

Thanks.

  • Re: 2008 SBS no longer boots
    ... Windows *does* write to a log, however, during a safe-mode boot what driver it is attempting to load. ... Any thermal issues and a lot of other hardware problems should show up ... other customer, even a 2 week old one, the problem immediately returned. ... There was a time when a server (even one that had been "burned ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: 2008 SBS no longer boots
    ... driver issue initially, the fact that it seems to happen randomly now ... Hardware tests don't turn up anything, SBS 2008 CD boots fine, running ... other customer, even a 2 week old one, the problem immediately returned. ... can provide clean power to the server and resolve the issue. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: 2008 SBS no longer boots
    ... He copied in the hpcisss2.sys driver from the other ... Intel raid card for Server 2003. ... the not the unable to boot. ... other customer, even a 2 week old one, the problem immediately returned. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Do Not Use FED EX to ship a backglass
    ... I have had numerous issues with Fed Ex, my driver not stopping at my ... I end up having to go to the customer ... The latest one was when I had a Cyclone ramp shipped. ... People who ship and care about their products/customers SHOULD NEVER ...
    (rec.games.pinball)