Re: Do I always need an SDK in order to build drivers?

"Bradley Remedios" wrote:
I think that the main benefit to using the various SDKs is that it
could let you know at compile time that your software is using
something that is not available on the target platform. If you
_really_ need this functionality, I would probably look into creating
a build system to build all of the targets to take the bite out of
that work.

True, I was going to mention that. And it does happen that people don’t have
the required components. I think what I’m going to do is provide generic
drivers, then if the customer can’t get it to work the first thing I’ll do is
request an SDK just to check that. But I hate to send people running around
looking for SDKs when they might not be necessary. And it saves me a lot of
effort and keeping track of many driver builds.

I would probably purchase ARM and MIPs systems that are simliar (if
not identical) to the systems that you will be targeting your software
for. I don't think that there is any "standard" or "recommended"
development platforms as that really just comes down to what the
requirements are for your product.

I don’t really know what the target systems will be. Anything, really. If it
exists, then I can guarantee you the sales guys will tell me they have a
customer that wants our driver to run on it. :-) (Sometimes I wish people
would just stop making more new operating systems.) But yeah, I guess if I
can find something that is typical, that could work well enough.

Thanks.

  • Re: touch screen help
    ... You will need to obtain an SDK for the target platform you are writing the ... do not be confused by the name "Standard SDK". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vc)
  • Re: Do I always need an SDK in order to build drivers?
    ... You can define the Windows CE components that your driver is dependent on ... request an SDK just to check that. ... I don't really know what the target systems will be. ... customer that wants our driver to run on it. ...
  • Re: notsupportedexception
    ... You only need to select the target platform when you are deploying or debugging the app from Visual Studio. ... By default, VS will prompt you for the target platform each time you deploy/debug, unless you remove the check from the Deployment dialog where it reads "Show me this dialog each time I deploy the application". ... program as opposed to being set to the development board SDK on the C+ ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development)
  • Re: Forth is broken by culture?
    ... target platform in Forth or C or whatever. ... either on the target itself or in a simulation of the target. ... Part of the reason why I typically don't prototype the entire system ... in a different language and then translate back to a target language ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: Target Platform
    ... Create separate projects for each target ... Conditional compilation to target platform-specific features ... Change Target Platform makes no backup of your project so if you are going ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer)