Re: Do I always need an SDK in order to build drivers?

Thanks for such a quick response! I have been using Platform Builder 5.0. I
do have PB 6.0 but haven’t set it up yet. I will do so, though. I don’t know
if my driver built for CE 5.0 will run on CE 6.0 or vice versa. But I guess I
will find out when I try it.

I do have a follow-up question though if you don’t mind. How about Windows
mobile? If I build my USB scanner driver for CE, will it run on Windows
mobile? I don’t have any sort of Windows mobile development platform. (True,
many devices that run Windows mobile are so small that they don’t usually
have USB host support, but some do.)

Thanks again.

"Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" wrote:

Are you using Windows CE 6? If so, CE 6.0 comes with an ARM emulator,
great for testing.

Your USB scanner driver is built on top of the USB Stack. The USB Stack
itself takes care of any hardware specifics, so your USB Scanner Driver
is generic for all platforms. This means that a version compiled for ARM
should work on all ARM platforms. No need to recompile against the
device SDK every time. This is of course assuming (as you already
stated) the target kernels have all necessary components in there.

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
Check out my blog: http://GuruCE.com/blog

GuruCE
Microsoft Embedded Partner
http://GuruCE.com

  • Re: have a pocket pc 2003 app. how to convert to windows mobile?
    ... Note that there is no SDK for "Windows Mobile 6". ... HPC, through Pocket PC, Smartphone, and Pocket PC Phone Edition to the ... provided one SDK for each platform. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer)
  • Re: Your iPhoneIs Not Yours
    ... that let you openly write to the platform. ... with windows mobile, to make life easy, you probably want to have ... visual studio to be free (and you can get the express editions free ... do charge for access to APIs and to certain libraries. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Platform names
    ... A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews! ... > invents completely new names for each new platform version ... > Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition ... Marketing people inside MS are trying to justify ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc)
  • Re: lets hope PlatformMin and PlatformMax work on WM5...
    ... >Windows Mobile 2003 does not check VersionMax for application installations. ... >The following code is a Windows Mobile 2003 example platform section in the ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer)
  • Re: CF 2.0 application running both in PPC2003 and WM5.0 platforms
    ... Generally you can just install the app and after responding to the WM 5 ... Just change Target Platform and deploy the application ... the Windows Mobile 5.0 device asking if I wanted to install files I had ... can tell you the exact error message. ...