Right.

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
Check out my blog: http://GuruCE.com/blog

GuruCE
Microsoft Embedded Partner
http://GuruCE.com

San wrote:
I've made a mistake wirtting to you whtih verifing one thing...I wasn't able to see usbharv.dll and cpl.dll on my windows folder so I thought there weren't but I've execute a MS-DOS comand window and I've looked for them on windows folder in this way and I've found them....
So the only thing I can think is that there is problem with drivers as you told me...right?

Than you.

"Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" wrote:

Please answer my questions:

On the CE device, open a windows explorer. Modify the view settings to show all files (hidden, system, etc). Now browse to the \windows folder: Do you see usbharv.dll and cpl.dll?

On your development machine, browse to the _FLATRELEASEFOLDER (in your OSDesigns folder under RelDir), open ce.bib. Can you find usbharv.dll and cpl.dll in ce.bib?

If not, the files did not make it into your kernel. This means you did not perform the right build steps. Re-read my blog, look at Bruce's blog or just do a clean sysgen.

In the bib file there is no need for a full path. All files in your BSP\FILES folder will be copied to the _FLATRELEASEDIR so you can just write:

MODULES
usbharv.dll $(_FLATRELEASEDIR)\usbharv.dll NK
cpl.dll $(_FLATRELEASEDIR)\cpl.dll NK

Again:

if you are sure the driver is in your kernel (so you can see the files in the windows folder) then if you enter the name and the device still doesn't work it simply indicates it is either the wrong driver for the device, or you have a problem with your USB host driver.

Build a debug kernel, enable debug zones for usbd.dll and analyze the messages when you insert the device.

It may be a good idea for you to follow a CE training...

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
Check out my blog: http://GuruCE.com/blog

GuruCE
Microsoft Embedded Partner
http://GuruCE.com

San wrote:
So, I'd like to write to you the steps I take...maybe you can see my error...

- I introduce drivers path as modules on project.bib file as I shew you in the last post.

MODULES
; Name Path Memory Type
; -------------- --------------------------------------------- -----------
usbharv.dll C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\SMDK2440\Files\usbharv.dll NK cpl.dll C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\SMDK2440\Files\cpl.dll NK
- I execute the procedure you told me as written on post "What build and when" (Sysgen, Copy files, makeimag)
- I execute dwn for nk.bin image downloading (first of all I format boot media for BinFS because the new image could be bigger)
- I charge the image and windows CE runs on my smdk2440 platform
-First of all I've tried to look for drivers on : windows ce device's registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\drivers but I don't find it
- At this point I try to connect my usb device and windows CE doen's recognize it (as vendors documentation tells that should happened) but it asks me for the device driver name. I introduce "usbharv.dll" but it tells me there is an error
- If I try to connect the usb device and to write the name while I've attached the platform to PB for debug the Windows CE debug out only shows:

PB Debugger Unloaded symbols for 'C:\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\MYOS\VS2005\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\SMDK2440-UNIPI\RELDIR\SMDK2440_ARMV4I_RELEASE\CEDDK.DLL'
PB Debugger Unloaded symbols for 'C:\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\MYOS\VS2005\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\SMDK2440-UNIPI\RELDIR\SMDK2440_ARMV4I_RELEASE\NETUI.DLL'
PB Debugger Loaded symbols for 'C:\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\MYOS\VS2005\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\SMDK2440-UNIPI\RELDIR\SMDK2440_ARMV4I_RELEASE\NETUI.DLL'
PB Debugger Loaded symbols for 'C:\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\MYOS\VS2005\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\SMDK2440-UNIPI\RELDIR\SMDK2440_ARMV4I_RELEASE\CEDDK.DLL'

I don't which libraries are those ones...

About your question "Did you enable all debugzones for USB?" I've tried to do that going to Target->CE Debug Zones->USBD.dll but I cannot modify the state.

Please could you help me? I'm too new on Windows CE development and I have to learn everything so fast...I read and read but I don't find the solution...

Thanks a lot in advance!!!!!

San

"Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" wrote:

Well, if you are sure the driver is in your kernel (so you can see the files in the windows folder) then if you enter the name and the device still doesn't work it simply indicates it is either the wrong driver for the device, or you have a problem with your USB host driver.

Did you enable all debugzones for USB? What do you see when you attach the driver?

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
Check out my blog: http://GuruCE.com/blog

GuruCE
Microsoft Embedded Partner
http://GuruCE.com

San wrote:
Hi Michel,

I did all steps you has told me, I had read the posto "what build and when". I only changed one step. As you can see in this post, Bruce told me to Copy Files before doing Sysgen if I was working with WinCE 6.0 (I didn't understand why but I did it)

I changed the project.bib in this way:

MODULES
; Name Path Memory Type
; -------------- --------------------------------------------- -----------
usbharv.dll C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\SMDK2440\Files\usbharv.dll NK cpl.dll C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\SMDK2440\Files\cpl.dll NK

These are the 2 necessary drivers for usb conection, as written on manufacturer doc.

Anyway, it still doen't work. When I plug in my device and windows CE ask me for the device usb driver name I write "usbharv.dll" but it doesn't works.

Any idea?

Thank you!

"Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" wrote:

You don't necessarily have to modify the registry entries, *if* entering the device name works (in the dialog box that CE shows you when you plug in the device) *and* if the device has a persistent registry (which you flush after entering the name in the dialog box).

If you added the driver to the image correctly, *and* the driver is actually the correct one for the device, then entering the device name in the dialog box should work.

Did you change the platform.bib?
If you did, did you do a "Sysgen" of your *BSP*?
If you did, did you then click "Copy files to release folder" from the build menu in PB?
If you did, did you then perform a makeimg?

All these steps are listed here (read it, it'll help you): http://guruce.com/blogpost/whattobuildwhen

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
Check out my blog: http://GuruCE.com/blog

GuruCE
Microsoft Embedded Partner
http://GuruCE.com

San wrote:
Hi Bruce,

I've fonund a document about "installing the USB comunication-bus driver on windows CE" from the device vendor. The procedure is the same I had tried but it doesn't talks about modifing the registry entries. It only tells that I've to deploy 2 files (usbharv.dll and cpl.dll) to an area that windows Ce will automatically search when trying to find the appropiate drives file for the module.

I've copied both files on my BSP\FILES and I've add the entry on project.bib as modules.

After doing what you told me I've laoded the new nk.bin to my board. But I doesn't works yet. It continues to ask me for the device driver name...and I try to write it but obviously it tell me there is an error...

Is the Windows CE's DLL search path correct?

I've to load the "include" file too...I've found how to do it from command line but how can I do it from Platform Builder?

I've actually search for these items on MSDN documentation but it doesn't specifies too much...

Thank you!!!

"Bruce Eitman [eMVP]" wrote:

You need to get the registry entries from the vendor then.

www.EuroTech.com

"San" <San@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:C3B39CA0-6A9F-4464-9DAF-D17972D9B050@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sorry...I'm too new on Windows CE and drivers network

I'm not sure about which registry entries I have to setup...I only have the
dll file
and there no information doc about modifing registry entries...could you
give any directive??

Thanks in advance! I've read some post in your blog...It's really helpfull
what you do...

Regards,

San

.