Re: Add Drivers to OS desing

I've modified view settings to show all files and I cannot see usbhavr.dll
and cpl.ddl in \windows folder but I they are on ce.bib...I cannot understand
why....could you help me only for this time?

"Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" wrote:

Please answer my questions:

On the CE device, open a windows explorer. Modify the view settings to
show all files (hidden, system, etc). Now browse to the \windows folder:
Do you see usbharv.dll and cpl.dll?

On your development machine, browse to the _FLATRELEASEFOLDER (in your
OSDesigns folder under RelDir), open ce.bib. Can you find usbharv.dll
and cpl.dll in ce.bib?

If not, the files did not make it into your kernel. This means you did
not perform the right build steps. Re-read my blog, look at Bruce's blog
or just do a clean sysgen.

In the bib file there is no need for a full path. All files in your
BSP\FILES folder will be copied to the _FLATRELEASEDIR so you can just
write:

MODULES
usbharv.dll $(_FLATRELEASEDIR)\usbharv.dll NK
cpl.dll $(_FLATRELEASEDIR)\cpl.dll NK

Again:

if you are sure the driver is in your kernel (so you can see the files
in the windows folder) then if you enter the name and the device still
doesn't work it simply indicates it is either the wrong driver for the
device, or you have a problem with your USB host driver.

Build a debug kernel, enable debug zones for usbd.dll and analyze the
messages when you insert the device.

It may be a good idea for you to follow a CE training...

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
Check out my blog: http://GuruCE.com/blog

GuruCE
Microsoft Embedded Partner
http://GuruCE.com

San wrote:
So, I'd like to write to you the steps I take...maybe you can see my error...

- I introduce drivers path as modules on project.bib file as I shew you in
the last post.

MODULES
; Name Path Memory Type
; -------------- --------------------------------------------- -----------
usbharv.dll C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\SMDK2440\Files\usbharv.dll NK

cpl.dll C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\SMDK2440\Files\cpl.dll NK

- I execute the procedure you told me as written on post "What build and
when" (Sysgen, Copy files, makeimag)
- I execute dwn for nk.bin image downloading (first of all I format boot
media for BinFS because the new image could be bigger)
- I charge the image and windows CE runs on my smdk2440 platform
-First of all I've tried to look for drivers on : windows ce device's
registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\drivers but I don't find it
- At this point I try to connect my usb device and windows CE doen's
recognize it (as vendors documentation tells that should happened) but it
asks me for the device driver name. I introduce "usbharv.dll" but it tells me
there is an error
- If I try to connect the usb device and to write the name while I've
attached the platform to PB for debug the Windows CE debug out only shows:

PB Debugger Unloaded symbols for
'C:\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\MYOS\VS2005\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\SMDK2440-UNIPI\RELDIR\SMDK2440_ARMV4I_RELEASE\CEDDK.DLL'
PB Debugger Unloaded symbols for
'C:\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\MYOS\VS2005\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\SMDK2440-UNIPI\RELDIR\SMDK2440_ARMV4I_RELEASE\NETUI.DLL'
PB Debugger Loaded symbols for
'C:\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\MYOS\VS2005\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\SMDK2440-UNIPI\RELDIR\SMDK2440_ARMV4I_RELEASE\NETUI.DLL'
PB Debugger Loaded symbols for
'C:\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\MYOS\VS2005\WINCE600\OSDESIGNS\SMDK2440-UNIPI\RELDIR\SMDK2440_ARMV4I_RELEASE\CEDDK.DLL'

I don't which libraries are those ones...

About your question "Did you enable all debugzones for USB?" I've tried to
do that going to Target->CE Debug Zones->USBD.dll but I cannot modify the
state.

Please could you help me? I'm too new on Windows CE development and I have
to learn everything so fast...I read and read but I don't find the solution...

Thanks a lot in advance!!!!!

San

"Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" wrote:

Well, if you are sure the driver is in your kernel (so you can see the
files in the windows folder) then if you enter the name and the device
still doesn't work it simply indicates it is either the wrong driver for
the device, or you have a problem with your USB host driver.

Did you enable all debugzones for USB? What do you see when you attach
the driver?

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
Check out my blog: http://GuruCE.com/blog

GuruCE
Microsoft Embedded Partner
http://GuruCE.com

San wrote:
Hi Michel,

I did all steps you has told me, I had read the posto "what build and when".
I only changed one step. As you can see in this post, Bruce told me to Copy
Files before doing Sysgen if I was working with WinCE 6.0 (I didn't
understand why but I did it)

I changed the project.bib in this way:

MODULES
; Name Path Memory Type
; -------------- --------------------------------------------- -----------
usbharv.dll C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\SMDK2440\Files\usbharv.dll NK

cpl.dll C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\SMDK2440\Files\cpl.dll NK

These are the 2 necessary drivers for usb conection, as written on
manufacturer doc.

Anyway, it still doen't work. When I plug in my device and windows CE ask me
for the device usb driver name I write "usbharv.dll" but it doesn't works.

Any idea?

Thank you!

"Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" wrote:

You don't necessarily have to modify the registry entries, *if* entering
the device name works (in the dialog box that CE shows you when you plug
in the device) *and* if the device has a persistent registry (which you
flush after entering the name in the dialog box).

If you added the driver to the image correctly, *and* the driver is
actually the correct one for the device, then entering the device name
in the dialog box should work.

Did you change the platform.bib?
If you did, did you do a "Sysgen" of your *BSP*?
If you did, did you then click "Copy files to release folder" from the
build menu in PB?
If you did, did you then perform a makeimg?

All these steps are listed here (read it, it'll help you):
http://guruce.com/blogpost/whattobuildwhen

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
Check out my blog: http://GuruCE.com/blog

GuruCE
Microsoft Embedded Partner
http://GuruCE.com

San wrote:
Hi Bruce,

I've fonund a document about "installing the USB comunication-bus driver on
windows CE" from the device vendor. The procedure is the same I had tried but
it doesn't talks about modifing the registry entries. It only tells that I've
to deploy 2 files (usbharv.dll and cpl.dll) to an area that windows Ce will
automatically search when trying to find the appropiate drives file for the
module.

I've copied both files on my BSP\FILES and I've add the entry on project.bib
as modules.

After doing what you told me I've laoded the new nk.bin to my board. But I
doesn't works yet. It continues to ask me for the device driver name...and I
try to write it but obviously it tell me there is an error...

Is the Windows CE's DLL search path correct?

I've to load the "include" file too...I've found how to do it from command
line but how can I do it from Platform Builder?

I've actually search for these items on MSDN documentation but it doesn't
specifies too much...

Thank you!!!

"Bruce Eitman [eMVP]" wrote:

You need to get the registry entries from the vendor then.

www.EuroTech.com

"San" <San@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Sorry...I'm too new on Windows CE and drivers network

I'm not sure about which registry entries I have to setup...I only have
the
dll file
and there no information doc about modifing registry entries...could you
give any directive??

Thanks in advance! I've read some post in your blog...It's really helpfull
what you do...

Regards,

San

  • Re: Build Failed Message
    ... I can't build any driver or subset of the OS by ... because there is still something wrong with your installation. ... I received no build.log file in the C:\WINCE600 folder. ... Windows CE 6.0 Platform Builder ...
  • Re: Cantt copy to DVD
    ... Driver ... DSP Group TrueSpeechSoftware CODEC: ... Ricoh 1394 Controller May Not Work with Windows XP ... Windows XP Does Not Detect Your New USB Device ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Active home pro stopped working II
    ... It really depends on the version of windows. ... is just plugging the cm15a to a different USB port on your PC. ... I've seen stuff get wacked out, driver wise, under windows. ... I think what he's describing are the sound effects in the AHP software. ...
    (comp.home.automation)
  • Re: Blue Screen 0x0000007A
    ... Next in Windows Explorer make sure View, ... atapi.sys is located in the folder ... stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. ... The process IDE/ATAPI Port Driver belongs to the software Microsoft ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Printer Problems
    ... Step 3:Check whether Digital Imaging Monitor is running or not. ... This feature works only with Windows Vista Ultimate, Windows Vista Business, and Windows Vista Enterprise. ... Step 2: USB Refresh ... Double-click the Hewlett-Packard folder. ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)