Re: Add Drivers to OS desing

Hi Michel,

I did all steps you has told me, I had read the posto "what build and when".
I only changed one step. As you can see in this post, Bruce told me to Copy
Files before doing Sysgen if I was working with WinCE 6.0 (I didn't
understand why but I did it)

I changed the project.bib in this way:

MODULES
; Name Path Memory Type
; -------------- --------------------------------------------- -----------
usbharv.dll C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\SMDK2440\Files\usbharv.dll NK

cpl.dll C:\WINCE600\PLATFORM\SMDK2440\Files\cpl.dll NK

These are the 2 necessary drivers for usb conection, as written on
manufacturer doc.

Anyway, it still doen't work. When I plug in my device and windows CE ask me
for the device usb driver name I write "usbharv.dll" but it doesn't works.

Any idea?

Thank you!

"Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" wrote:

You don't necessarily have to modify the registry entries, *if* entering
the device name works (in the dialog box that CE shows you when you plug
in the device) *and* if the device has a persistent registry (which you
flush after entering the name in the dialog box).

If you added the driver to the image correctly, *and* the driver is
actually the correct one for the device, then entering the device name
in the dialog box should work.

Did you change the platform.bib?
If you did, did you do a "Sysgen" of your *BSP*?
If you did, did you then click "Copy files to release folder" from the
build menu in PB?
If you did, did you then perform a makeimg?

All these steps are listed here (read it, it'll help you):
http://guruce.com/blogpost/whattobuildwhen

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
Check out my blog: http://GuruCE.com/blog

GuruCE
Microsoft Embedded Partner
http://GuruCE.com

San wrote:
Hi Bruce,

I've fonund a document about "installing the USB comunication-bus driver on
windows CE" from the device vendor. The procedure is the same I had tried but
it doesn't talks about modifing the registry entries. It only tells that I've
to deploy 2 files (usbharv.dll and cpl.dll) to an area that windows Ce will
automatically search when trying to find the appropiate drives file for the
module.

I've copied both files on my BSP\FILES and I've add the entry on project.bib
as modules.

After doing what you told me I've laoded the new nk.bin to my board. But I
doesn't works yet. It continues to ask me for the device driver name...and I
try to write it but obviously it tell me there is an error...

Is the Windows CE's DLL search path correct?

I've to load the "include" file too...I've found how to do it from command
line but how can I do it from Platform Builder?

I've actually search for these items on MSDN documentation but it doesn't
specifies too much...

Thank you!!!

"Bruce Eitman [eMVP]" wrote:

You need to get the registry entries from the vendor then.

www.EuroTech.com

"San" <San@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Sorry...I'm too new on Windows CE and drivers network

I'm not sure about which registry entries I have to setup...I only have
the
dll file
and there no information doc about modifing registry entries...could you
give any directive??

Thanks in advance! I've read some post in your blog...It's really helpfull
what you do...

Regards,

San

  • Re: Add Drivers to OS desing
    ... to see usbharv.dll and cpl.dll on my windows folder so I thought there weren't but I've execute a MS-DOS comand window and I've looked for them on windows folder in this way and I've found them.... ... "Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" wrote: ... Re-read my blog, look at Bruce's blog or just do a clean sysgen. ... if you are sure the driver is in your kernel then if you enter the name and the device still doesn't work it simply indicates it is either the wrong driver for the device, or you have a problem with your USB host driver. ...
  • Re: Add Drivers to OS desing
    ... "Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" wrote: ... On the CE device, open a windows explorer. ... if you are sure the driver is in your kernel (so you can see the files ... or you have a problem with your USB host driver. ...
  • Re: Add Drivers to OS desing
    ... On the CE device, open a windows explorer. ... if you are sure the driver is in your kernel then if you enter the name and the device still doesn't work it simply indicates it is either the wrong driver for the device, or you have a problem with your USB host driver. ... "Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" wrote: ...
  • Re: Add Drivers to OS desing
    ... -First of all I've tried to look for drivers on: windows ce device's ... asks me for the device driver name. ... If I try to connect the usb device and to write the name while I've ... "Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" wrote: ...
  • Re: Help me build kernel?
    ... Dean Ramsier - eMVP ... >> ENDIF ... >>> display driver. ... >>> image and the registry entries for the ...