Can a touchscreen driver be written as a user mode driver?

I'm embarking on a new project which will use Windows CE 6. We have a kernel
image for the SBC we are using. I need to add a touchscreen driver (TI
TSC2003 touchscreen controller).

I was hoping to avoid building my own kernel on this project (to save time
and money). From what I can tell, it seems like the touchscreen driver needs
to live in the kernel. Before I spend time (and money for the BSP) I figured
I'd check with people who would know.

I've used Platform Builder for a different project, so the time I'll save by
avoiding the kernel isn't huge. But the project is short and tight on budget
so I'm looking to save time wherever I can.

Is this something I can do as a user mode driver? And is it a good idea?

Thanks,

Steven Bass
Intertech Engineering Associates

  • Unbloating the kernel, was: :mem=16MB laptop testing
    ... no expertise to look after the kernel. ... any money on computers. ... donated computers 5+ years old: even if they had the money they could not find ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Possible GPL Violation of Linux in Amstrads E3 Videophone
    ... > make removing all that code easier. ... > support in your kernel (and claim it corrupts memory on your SuSE ... > contributors in the kernel you'll have to offer a lot of money ... A fundamental missunderstanding of the GPL. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: RedHat 10 wishlist
    ... Thanks but I'll save my money and buy ... ATA-100 drives as their performance is more than adequate and I can hook 4 of them to ... > Redhat has become more bloated any performance advantage you can get is ... kernel, ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Possible GPL Violation of Linux in Amstrads E3 Videophone
    ... >>support in your kernel (and claim it corrupts memory on your SuSE ... >>contributors in the kernel you'll have to offer a lot of money ... > telling me is that this is an attempt to undermine the GPL by someone ... Jeff used to work for Novell... ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Possible GPL Violation of Linux in Amstrads E3 Videophone
    ... I know you don't care to keep it in the kernel, ... Jesper>>| There are other rewards than money. ... jcm>> Al summed it up quite well earlier. ... Check those bushes for Novell snipers too - you never ...
    (Linux-Kernel)