Re: WindowCE 5.0 + XIP Chain question!

1) No matter what kind of Flash technology you are using, you could still use XIP Chain. Just consider the ordinal/non-XIP Chain case, if you are using XIPable memory (like NOR Flash), the bootloader just jump into the starting address and that's all; in the other hand, if it is non-XIPable (NAND Flash, CF and etc), the bootloader will need to load the image into RAM first. So the same thing in XIP-Chain solution, it depends on your memory technology and the bootloader will need to load the whole bunch thing into RAM or just jump to the starting address.

2)
a, b) The romiamge.exe will generate one single image, xip.bin that contains all of the .bin region and you only need to download the xip.bin. Here is another thread discussing about BinFS and Multiple XIP you may want to take a look - http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsce.platbuilder/browse_thread/thread/5fbecc4345e6a11d/f8ff05218a816e46

c) The is a good question, but unfortunately there is no simple way but you need to tweak the BIB files. In fact, you could avoid tweak every BIB files but just modify the final merged BIB (ce.bib) file in your PREROMIMAGE.BAT (in CE6 it will be preri-<BSP NAME>.bat) or similar place just before romimage but after the ce.bib is generated. Actually, if you could access the Windows Mobile 2003 Adaption Kit, it does have some Java Scrip or VBS, I can't remember that will tweak the BIB and assigned particular modules into specific XIP regions.

d) That is another good question and again there is no good solution so far. As you said, the new MDD/PDD dose not work well with bootpart.lib and BinFS; in current timeframe, if there is no particular reason you will need to use the new MDD/PDD architecture, you may still stay on the legacy FAL/FMD which should be okay with bootpart.lib and BinFS.