Re: Problem getting eBox image to boot

First thank your for answering my question. I was fairly certain that there
would be someone on this list who:

1) Knew what they were talking about.
2) Understood that not everyone learns the same way they did or even thinks
the same way they do, and therefore would not see the "obvious" ( some other
people on this list could take a lesson from the two who responded at this
time).

Now to the problem at hand.

I had performed all the steps you have listed. However, I apparently failed
to notice the setting of "KEY"!!! (assume there is an underline) environment
variables in the the build profile.
Silly me, (and I really mean that) I did not realize that the BSP would not
have set them. Because of all the other things that the BSP does set I just
assumed that they had been set. Your assurance that if I would just follow
the jump star I would be ok (which is one heck of a lot different from RTFM)
caused me to slow down and actually check the build properties and the answer
was right there

FOR ANYONE ELSE HAVING PR0BLEMS BUILDING EBOX 4300 OS:

You must set the build options as described in the Jump Start Manual.

I guess that after 35 years of building system on every thing from os9 to
big DEC and IBM platforms, one comes to expect things that aren't always true.

I not only have successfully generated my first OS on the platform, I have
been able to recreate some of the tweaks that had been done on the included
OS. Once I realized that the defaults had to be set, I was able to proceed
quite quickly.

Thanks again.

"Oliver Schenk" wrote:

Hi

I got an eBox 4300 Spark Kit. I am not quite sure what you mean by your
question.

By disk do you mean a CD?
What are you trying to boot on the eBox?

My spark kit came with two cds to install VS2005 and Platform Builder.
In addition I got a CD with no label that had the eBox documentation on it.

The eBox should work straight out of the box. You just need to attach a
monitor, keyboard and power and you should first see a blue boot screen
where you can choose how the eBox should load. If you want it to load
from the image that is already on the eBox I think that's option 1 and
it should then just load Windows CE with the usual start menu,
background, and icons.

I installed VS2005, then platform builder and then the VS2005 updates.
You can check what updates you have for a specific platform (in the case
of eBox 4300 it's x86) in VS2005 by going to Tools > Platform Builder
For CE 6.0 > CE Update Check. Once you know what updates you need you
can go to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/embedded/aa731256.aspx

Also, to make your operating system design eBox hardware specific you
can get the eBox BSP from:

http://www.embeddedpc.net/Download/WindowsEmbeddedCE60Download/tabid/113/Default.aspx

Also get the eBox CORECON installer for debugging purposes. It will then
allow you to select the BSP and corecon connector directly from the Catalog.

You can also get the SDK from the above link but that only applies if
you didn't make any operating system catalog changes that require a sysgen.

Some more documents here:

http://www.embeddedpc.net/KnowledgeBase/WindowsEmbeddedCEKnowledgeBase/tabid/106/Default.aspx

Let me know how you go. I haven't really had any problems loading and
running images and such; I'm still learning Win32 and WinCE though.

Oliver

New_CE_developer wrote:
I just started using the eBox 4300 Spark kit. I used the disk which was
included to build the default platform, but when I try to boot it on the
ebox, it appears to "hang".
Before I go into a lot of detail I want to make sure this is the right group
to ask the question in.
I don't want to write a detailed request only to be told to:
1) google it
2) go to a different news group
3) RTFM - To which my response would be WFM? I have read the jump start
guide and it only has sunny day senarios.

  • Re: I have a problem with eBox-2300, cannt run WinCE
    ... RETAIL or DEBUG or whether you've set up Platform Builder to accept the ... connection, etc., that's my best guess. ... I received the eBox and the IP Sensor 9201 to do it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: Problem getting eBox image to boot
    ... Create an OS design that exclusively uses the object store. ... Download and start the runtime image from Platform Builder. ... After this copy the new nk.bin to the SSD of the eBox. ... This batch file will help clean up the disk: ...
  • Help on our final year project- please reply quickly
    ... To deploy updates we provide hand held embedded device to ... We assume that all our clients are within 1.5 km range. ... network)& then updates will be deployed to hand held devices through ... ebox 2300 is connected to GSM network & local ...
    (sci.electronics.misc)
  • Re: Help on our final year project- please reply quickly
    ... To deploy updates we provide hand held embedded device to ... We assume that all our clients are within 1.5 km range. ... network)& then updates will be deployed to hand held devices through ... ebox 2300 is connected to GSM network & local ...
    (sci.electronics.misc)
  • Re: Problem getting eBox image to boot
    ... What are you trying to boot on the eBox? ... My spark kit came with two cds to install VS2005 and Platform Builder. ... then platform builder and then the VS2005 updates. ...