Re: Build Failed Message

Wow, that's strange. All the IDE does is execute the command line version of the build system...

What happens if you do a targeted-build of for instance your BSP or a driver inside the BSP? You do a targeted build from the IDE by right clicking the item in the workspace and choose "Build".

I think you may want to open a support case with Microsoft on this. You get 2 free support calls with Platform Builder, so it won't cost you anything (but you may need your 2 free calls for "real" later).

The obvious solution to your problem is a reinstall of the entire machine (and this may be cheaper to you than spending a free support call), because there is still something wrong with your installation.

I use VMWARE for all my Windows CE work (because I still use CE 3.0, 4.2, 5.0, 6.0 & Windows Mobile and they don't install side-by-side). Maybe VMWARE is another solution for your problem (since you will be installing on a clean XP installation).

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
Check out my blog: http://GuruCE.com/blog

GuruCE
Microsoft Embedded Partner
http://GuruCE.com

lsimoni wrote:
Michel,

OK, I'm back up and running now. Everything is reinstalled, even the QFE's (your installer program is amazing).

When I started VS for the first time, I selected the Platform builder configuration (previously I was using the Visual Basic screen Configuration), now I have an output window at the bottom of the screen showing the build output data. I get different errors depending on which build function I do:

Build Solution:
Error: Value cannot be null.
========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Build Osdesign1:
Error: Value cannot be null.
========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

Sysgen:
Error: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

I received no build.log file in the C:\WINCE600 folder.

I then opened a command prompt using "open release directory in build window" from the build menu and used the "blddemo -q" command and the build runs just fine in the command prompt. 29 minutes later I have a build OS, complete with Build.log file in the WINCE6000 folder. I can run/debug the OS just fine.

Am I stuck using the command promt for building?

Also,
Thanks for the help and utilities so far. I really appreciate it.

Lucio

"Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" wrote:

Ok, first of all, you were talking about long build times. This indicates to me you may be building the wrong things (maybe you even did a build & sysgen?!). Please read this: http://guruce.com/blogpost/whattobuildwhen

If you did a build & sysgen you've destroyed your build tree and that could result in build errors. A reinstall should however completely solve that issue.

Stupid (?) question: How much space do you have left on the disk after the installation?

In your case I would de-install (don't forget to first deinstall any service packs), then manually delete the C:\WINCE600 folder, also uninstall any VS2005 SP's and VS2005 itself, and delete any of the folders under \Program Files\ belonging to VS2005, then open regedit and search for "Windows CE", "Platform Builder" and "Visual Studio" and delete all those keys.

Then do a reinstall following this exact order:

1. Visual Studio 2005
2. MSDN Library
3. Windows CE 6.0 Platform Builder
4. Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1
5. Windows CE 6.0 Platform Builder Service Pack 1
6. Windows CE 6.0 R2 (see also http://guruce.com/blogpost/offlineinstallationofthece60r2update)
7. Windows CE 6.0 USB Camera Driver (if you want)
8. Download and install all QFE's for Windows CE 6.0 (see also http://guruce.com/blogpost/downloadqfes and use the QFEInstaller from my webpage to save you a million clicks)

If it still doesn't work after following these steps then throw the PC out the window, change jobs, wife, country and name and never think about Windows CE ever again. (Been there, not done it yet...)

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
Check out my blog: http://GuruCE.com/blog

GuruCE
Microsoft Embedded Partner
http://GuruCE.com

lsimoni wrote:
I finally got everything re-installed and up and running again. First of all, yes I'm an administrative user. Also, I navigated to the gwexp driver and ran the 'build -c' command and it worked just fine. I even get a build.log in that folder when the build is complete. I tried again in the IDE, and I get the same build failed message.

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" wrote:

You did a search in \wince600 for *.log? You are an administrative user? If you open a build window in the release folder of your project and navigate to some driver under your BSP/platform folder, can you do a 'build -c' there and have it work? It sounds like sysgen is failing, maybe.

Paul T.

"lsimoni" <lsimoni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:FEC75923-9833-48A1-839C-ACAF1C9605BB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I only wish that was the problem, I used the default options for
installation. I even used names like osdesign1 to ensure there were no
spaces. Still no go.

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" wrote:

You don't have any long path names in where you installed Windows CE 6, do
you? You didn't change the default, c:\wince600, to something like c:\my
projects\Windows CE\wince600? Paths with spaces in them are notorious for
causing serious build failures. I'm surprised there's no file build.log
anywhere in the \wince600 folder, though. Are you sure?

Paul T.

"lsimoni" <lsimoni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I just installed it, the time doesn't run out for a couple of months still.
I don't even get any error messages. Just the Build Failed status at the
bottom left corner of the IDE.

We would buy CE, but I'm supposed to be evaluating whether we should be
using XPe or CE. So I'm trying both to see which would work better for
us.

"Ravi" wrote:

Well usually the evaluation version comes with a time limit. If you have
exceed this time limit you will get a error with the phrase "time bomb".
If
that is the case then the solution is simple, its time to buy the CE 6.0
:)

HTH
Ravi

"lsimoni" wrote:

I've been using the evaluation version of CE 6.0 for several weeks now
without issues. Now all of a sudden I'm getting a "build failed"
message on
the status bar at the bottom of the screen immediately after I try any
of the
build commands (build, rebuild, sysgen, etc). There are no errors, no
warnings, and no .txt logs generated in the WINCE600 directory. I've
tried
re-installing, but it doesn't fix the problem.

I've tried new projects for different targets, but every time I try to
build
the status goes directly from build started to build failed.

  • RE: Locating corrupt driver
    ... This article describes the functionality and limitations of the Windows ... Create and format partitions on drives. ... MB of hard disk space on your system partition to hold the Cmdcons folder ... Windows NTBoot Console Command Interpreter. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.applications)
  • RE: re-setting boot partition
    ... Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console ... For a Microsoft Windows XP version of this article, ... MB of hard disk space on your system partition to hold the Cmdcons folder ... Windows NTBoot Console Command Interpreter. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade)
  • Re: Build Failed Message
    ... But seriously, do a complete re-install of your machine, or buy VMWARE. ... because there is still something wrong with your installation. ... I received no build.log file in the C:\WINCE600 folder. ... Windows CE 6.0 Platform Builder ...
  • Re: Last known good configuration
    ... >> from registry problems in Windows XP Home Editon? ... and you'll load the Recovery Console ... > appropriate windows folder if it's at a different location. ... Type the whole command in one line, ...
  • RE: Win2000 Upgrade to SP3 Express Setup error.
    ... Start your computer with the Windows Setup floppy disks, ... MB of hard disk space on your system partition to hold the Cmdcons folder ... Windows NTBoot Console Command Interpreter. ... you cannot copy a file from the local hard disk to a floppy disk. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade)