Re: Breakpoints in bootloader assembly

On Oct 8, 2:33 pm, "Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no
instrument no spam DOT com> wrote:
Think we might need to know what bootloader you're talking about?  What
version of Windows CE?  What hardware debugging support you have?  What
processor type?  It looks like ARM, but why make us guess?

Paul T.

<jared.win...@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message

I am trying to setup breakpoints in my bootloader before my the main()
function gets called. For instance, I would like be able to set a
breakpoint at the beginning of the StartUp function which is written
in assembly. I have no problem setting breakpoints for C functions,
for example I can create a new breakpoint and just type "main" into
the New Breakpoint dialog. I can also set a HW breakpoint using the
address of main (in my case 0x9000c1c0) and that works too. Trying to
enter "StartUp" rather than "main" doesn't work, nor does using its
address. I have noticed that the symbol "StartUp" isn't seen in my
bootloader executable like "main" is (as inspected with dumpbin). Any
suggestions of what I might be doing wrong would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Sure, sorry for the lack of details. I am running Windows CE 6 on a
BSquare development board with a PXA320 (XScale) processor. The
bootloader is from BSquare (not eboot), and it is booting from NAND
flash. If I understand things correctly, the processor has a BootROM
that will copy the the bootloader out of the NAND flash into internal
RAM, and then the BootROM will jump to my bootloader. I am using a
Macraigor usb2sprite JTAG probe and the Marvell Debugger Extensions
for Windows 3.0 provides my eXDI2 driver. Thanks.

  • Re: Breakpoints in bootloader assembly
    ... Think we might need to know what bootloader you're talking about? ... breakpoint at the beginning of the StartUp function which is written ...
  • Re: Breakpoints in bootloader assembly
    ... Then it will stop at the Startup point. ... version of Windows CE? ... breakpoint at the beginning of the StartUp function which is written ... bootloader is from BSquare, and it is booting from NAND ...
  • Re: Field Updates of Windows CE
    ... I'd say, if you have the space on the card, yes, 1) rename old nk.bin ... that Windows Mobile actually does nk.bin replacements via the bootloader, ... many, if not all, of the Windows CE integration companies have bootloaders ... and flash copy, which is a BIG job, to my way of thinking. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: loadcepc for linux
    ... get the source for your current bootloader, ... But as you said it's not that easy to jump from linux to ce, ... Wouldn't you just have a Windows CE driver for those things and, ... driver is initialized wouldn't it initialize the hardware? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: Field Updates of Windows CE
    ... because you need both the SD card driver and the FATFS support. ... Interesting recommendation on not using eboot, but a different bootloader ... many, if not all, of the Windows CE integration companies have bootloaders ... and flash copy, which is a BIG job, to my way of thinking. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)