Re: Adding both .NET 2.0 and 3.5

They *can* coexist on a device. PB just can't deploy both to the same image and as Paul pointed out, there's no reason to ship both on a device anyway.

--

Chris Tacke, Embedded MVP
OpenNETCF Consulting

"Ingibergur/Beggi" <NA> wrote in message news:%23wunb8EKJHA.1012@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you both for your answers.

There are so many different meanings out there When .NET 2.0 arrived I was adviced by this group just add .NET 2.0 and keep 1.0 and nobody had an objection. However I did not follow this advice until now.

Also everyting points to that direction that these versions are able to live together:

- They live to gether on a PC
- Platform manager allows all versions to be added
- NETCFCFG is able to display all the .NET versions at same time.
- I have not been able to find description on MSDN that they do not.
- etc etc.

It would have been a lot easier if Microsoft had written a small message together with the .NET 3.5 that it can not live together with .NET 2.0

Thanks again.

Also if you read the documentation that follow the *.msi (installable) version of 3.5. Here
"Luca Calligaris" <anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:O26ANIEKJHA.1556@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Just to put my two cents: Platform Builder should not allow the developer to choose both
of them since doing so some files of one version of .NET CF will overwrite those of the other
version, mixing (and messing) up everyting. In Windows CE 5.0 you could not add both .NET CF 1.1 and
.NET CF 2.0

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:exi6mZ9JJHA.1156@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
You don't want to add both. There's no reason to have them both and they don't work when you try to do that. If you need to run .NET CF 3.5 applications, then add .NET CF 3.5 and live with it. You'll still be perfectly able to run .NET CF 2.0 applications on the device... However, as you've found, you can't DEBUG from VS2005 (because the version of the framework on the device is .NET CF 3.5 and VS2005 doesn't know about that). That's just the way it is.

Paul T.

"B" <NA> wrote in message news:ek2RGL8JJHA.5972@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am not able to run .NET CF application if I add both .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.5 to my CE5.0 x86 platform. If I only add either of them there is no problem!
Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 displays following messages when I try to run a CF2.0 application in debug mode:

"This application requires a newer version of the Microsoft® .NET Compact Framework than the version installed on this device."

NETCFCFG.exe displays following version numbers on my platform:

If I add only .NET 2.0 ==> 2.0.7045.0 (ROM)

If I add only .NET 3.5 ==> 3.5.7338.0 (ROM)

If I add both:
2.0.7045.0
3.5.7338.0 (ROM)

I have added all CE updates that are available.

It looks like that if I have only .NET 3.5 then I am able to execute both 2.0 and 3.5 programs in debug mode using VS2008. However I am not able to use VS2005 for .NET 2.0 applications.

What can I do to have both .NET CF´s working on my platform for both VS2005 and VS2008.

Tanks
Ingibergur/Beggi

  • Re: Adding both .NET 2.0 and 3.5
    ... There's no reason to have them both and they ... applications, then add .NET CF 3.5 and live with it. ... a CF2.0 application in debug mode: ... NETCFCFG.exe displays following version numbers on my platform: ...
  • irritating bug in debug
    ... but when I place breakpoints when running one of my ... applications in debug mode, they never appear where I want them to, ... Paul ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)
  • Re: Adding both .NET 2.0 and 3.5
    ... Just to put my two cents: Platform Builder should not allow the developer to ... applications, then add .NET CF 3.5 and live with it. ... a CF2.0 application in debug mode: ...
  • Re: Crackpot vacation?
    ... physics that seems to have embarrassed even himself. ... now Paul, what you just said is CLEARY a relativistic ... from physics to evolution (know any good applications of evolution ... Don't complain to the RECIPIENT ...
    (sci.physics)
  • Re: NETCF2 included but not built
    ... bought Platform Builder and call Microsoft. ... Paul G. Tobey wrote: ... the Platform builder 4.2 has .net compact framework 2.0 ... unpacked from the installation of that works fine in the target ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)