Re: Create user account for ftpd

It's in ntlmssp.dll.

The reason it's different than the desktop is, well, becasue this isn't the
desktop. CE has no notion of users, roles or user-based security, so
there's no way to "force it".

For the desktop there's no way to pre-create users inside the OS either - it
has to be done via an API and htey get stored to disk.

"GrahamS" <GrahamS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks guys - for all the comments :-O.

So - the answer is that I cannot create this user in PB before I build the
image ??.

OK fine - if only the docs had said that I would never have posed th
question....

So if I call from a managed app at runtime - can someone tell me what DLL
it
will appear in - so that I can import it into a managed app.

I fully understand the implications of storing in a config file,
encryption
etc. etc.

It really was quite a simple question - originally - can I add a user
WITHOUT doing it in code :-O.

The docs tell me that the function is in a lib - but not into what dll it
gets compiled - so that I can call it at runtime.

NB There will be NO USERS on this system other than this one simply to
allow
me to ftp in for maintenance. Its not a desktop PC, or I would use the
desktop apps to add users etc. Its a simple black-box application. I
thought
that is what CE was targetted at :-O.

Thanks for the positive input though ;-)).

Regards

Graham

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" wrote:

The storage for things like passwords isn't going to be something that
you
can precalculate and automatically put in every device, in the registry
or
something (or that would effectively be *zero* security). You could
create
a program that runs on startup of the device to read an encrypted list of
users/passwords to be entered and have it call NTLMSetUserInfo() for each
one, then just add that file to your Platform Builder build, or something
of
that sort, to get a default set of users.

Since we don't know *anything* about how you plan to use this, we can't
really recommend something else...

Paul T.

"GrahamS" <GrahamS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
OK - but how and where am I supposed to call this function ??.

Do I need to create a C runtime app and run this - or can this be done
in
Platform builder ??.

Sorry - I just don't know where this function is supposed to be called
from
:-O.

Thanks

Graham

"Chris Tacke, eMVP" wrote:

NTLMSetUserInfo is the only way I'm aware of.

--

Chris Tacke, Embedded MVP
OpenNETCF Consulting

"GrahamS" <GrahamS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Luca,

Thanks for the response - but I have already been there. The link
tells
me
how to add existing users to FTPD, which is one step.

The bit I cannot do however is to add a new user account to the CE
Build
itself (ie in the link you sent - how do I first create the user
account
for
GladysL).

Thanks...

Graham

"Luca Calligaris" wrote:

hope this link might help you

"GrahamS" <GrahamS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto nel
messaggio
Hi,

Using CE6 R2 under VS2005.

I have the ftpd service running and working, but want to secure
it.
have
currently configured it for ananymous access.

I have seen lots of posts about using NTLMSetUserInfo() - but I
don't
know
how or where to run this code :-O. I 'could' do it in my target
app -
if I
knew how to get at this API at target runtime from a C# managed
app -
as
the
target will run my application at boot and so could install its
own
'support'
user.

I really want to add a user at platform build time (not target
runtime)
simply as a means of managing the target system remotely when
deployed
(upload new target files etc.). There will be little or no user
interface -
in fact the box will not be fitted with screen/keyboard - hence
why
want
create the user at build time.

Have searched everywhere I can think of to learn how to do this
:-O -
so
any
help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Regards

Graham

  • Re: Visual Basic Ver 6.0 - Word 2003
    ... able to reference the 9.0 object library (on your dev PC if it has Word 2000 ... installed) and your app should work on a target PC even if Office 2003 is ... installed on the target PC. ... I think you need to pinpoint the line of code causing the error. ...
  • Re: Create user account for ftpd
    ... "Chris Tacke, eMVP" wrote: ... So if I call from a managed app at runtime - can someone tell me what DLL ... I 'could' do it in my target ...
  • Re: Create user account for ftpd
    ... Do I need to create a C runtime app and run this - or can this be done in ... Platform builder ??. ... "Luca Calligaris" wrote: ... I 'could' do it in my target ...
  • Re: Create user account for ftpd
    ... So if I call from a managed app at runtime - can someone tell me what DLL it ... Platform builder ??. ... I 'could' do it in my target ...
  • Re: Installed Application will not run.
    ... CompChecker application on the target machine and it matches my development ... I wrote a quick hello world type app already and it runs ... My original app was written using a sub main ...