Re: Verifying a signed executable?

Chris

Thanks for that - if it's tedious and painful, I'll avoid it! I've used the checksum approach before, so I guess I'll just stick with it!

Thanks again.

Regards
Tony

Chris Tacke, eMVP wrote:
Getting signing working can be a real tedious, painful process and if you're not trying to get trust levels implemented, I'd wager it's not worth the effort. Thjere are a lot of ways to attack the problem, but one simple mechanism would be that when you release your app, calculate a checksum and then just append it as 4 bytes to the end of the executable. The app could then check itself by running a checksum on itself and matching it to the last 4 bytes of the binary.

  • Verification of code in RAM
    ... record that gets loaded into RAM. ... checksums each record in RAM and compares the calculated checksum and stored ... has occurred and the app reboots the system. ...
  • Re: binary file compare...
    ... sequence into account. ... checksum has been specifically designed to be fast and compact, ... I know that the various checksum algorithms aren't exactly cheap, ... Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments. ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Unbuffered network save
    ... one's embedded device does not support CKU (ChecKsum Offload) ... then even if you avoid the copy, you will not avoid the data access ... CKO without copy avoidance) ... First time I hear this term 'copy-avoidance', ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Handling severe packet loss (serialization).
    ... Most protocols use a checksum to avoid this problem. ... the web at CRC32 implementations. ...
  • Re: How do I - Compile a number into the program
    ... > a checksum to keep people from tampering with the exe's. ... There's a checksum, but it doesn't stop you from changing bytes. ... > That's why I mentioned how to 'balance' the data to avoid ... appending data. ...