Re: Program protection - can not be copied

DLLs in the modules section aren't actually files. The code in the DLL has been extracted and inserted directly into the OS image. This saves space in Flash and in memory, and improves performance. This has nothing to do with filter drivers. This can only be done when the OS image is first created.

You can't do the same thing with files that get installed after the OS image is created. That kind of thing might involve a filter driver or something similar.

--
// StdDisclaimer.h
// This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Rob" <Rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:5DDE3F27-5B31-48CD-977C-94B9FF4CA3E0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hallo Michel,

hows life down under (well almost) ?

As it happens, I am dealing with exactly this problem right now.
I am trying to extract a DLL from an existing build.
The build is copy-protected, so copying the the DLL with explorer wont work.
I wrote a little app to copy the file, but it cant open it for reading.
Does such a filesystem filter only allow a certain process to read ?
or only a kernel-process ?

My other approach was to make an .NB0 file, and trying to extract the
dll-file from there. But my tool cannot extract it since the files was placed
in the modules section.
(it can only extract from files-section)

Since you seem to know about these filesystem-filters, do you know the best
way around it ? I have a tool to start/stop drivers, Should I stop the FAT
driver, and start another dll instead (fat driver from an original build) ?

Groeten,
Rob.

"Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" wrote:

Not really, you could write a filesystem filter that prevents your
application or parts of it to be copied out.

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
EmbeddedFusion
www.EmbeddedFusion.com
mverhagen at embeddedfusion dot com