Re: How to debug a device driver on a PPC?

What does "install" mean? Copy it to the Windows folder, make some registry
entries, and reboot the device? The right set of stuff depends on the type
of driver we're talking about (BuiltIn, PC Card, USB client). No, there's
no quick, built-in way to do that which I'm aware of.

Copying the file to the right place can be done with Remote File Viewer,
ActiveSync or whatever else your specific device has. Adding items to the
registry might be done with a second utility program that knows the right
entries and calls the RegXXX functions to make them, or you could go all-out
and write a program to parse a .REG file and put the entries in the registry
for you. Rebooting the device is specific to the device you are targeting,
so you'll have to figure that out.

Paul T.

"Kimo Jolin" <kimojolin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>I am particularly interested in how to install the driver when I am in
> development phase. Is there a quick way to do that other than write the a
> driver installer using the CAB file?
>

> "Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <ptobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT com>
> wrote in message news:O3yNw%23CcFHA.2420@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> 1. Well, you might open a socket as your debug method and then have a
>> program running on the desktop that will receive the debug data and
> display
>> it. There's no free and easy way with no work for you, no.
>>
>> 2. Presumably however you are planning to distribute the driver to real
>> customers. Probably you're going to use some sort of installation
> program,
>> so use that. It should allow you to specify registry entries to make,
> etc.
>>
>> Paul T.
>>
>> "Kimo Jolin" <kimojolin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > Thank you for your help. Your hints are quite helpful but I still have
>> > two
>> > questions that need to be answered.
>> >
>> > 1. Is there any way to display debugging messages to the development
>> > workstation i.e. XP or Windows 200?
>> > 2. After I compiled my driver on my workstation using the platform
>> > builder,
>> > what is the quick way to install my driver and add registry entries
>> > over
>> > the
>> > PDA for test or debugging?
>> >

>> > "Steve Maillet (eMVP)" <nospam1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
> message

  • Re: Incorporating a 3rd party driver into a BSP/Image
    ... because my IT department is paranoid about what they let us install. ... You may want to look for a tool to get the registry out of the CAB file. ... beitman AT applieddata DOT net ... driver suite actually run as if a CAB had installed it. ...
  • Re: Need to create an uninstall program...
    ... >> application, get a snap shot of the registry after the install, should I ... >> able to figure out how to properly uninstall the application? ... > I think you are saying that you have so many registry entries that you ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Rogue Kernel Driver ierk8243.sys may be novel Trojan
    ... This "ierk8243.sys" rootkit sounds a lot like "Hacker Defender." ... Similar symptoms of some similar kind of rogue driver have been reported ... Registry clean up requires taking ... > standard MS file belonging to the original OS install, ...
    (NT-Bugtraq)
  • Re: Need help troubleshooting driver issues please.
    ... Start Registry Editor. ... Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies: ... The driver may be corrupted or missing. ... | New Hardware and letting it install itself. ...
  • Re: Importing .inf, no errors, some registry entries missing.
    ... 30 PnP resource items sound usual for an inf import. ... Instead of GUID based registry entries (some drivers and driver services will have a GUID based registry paths to their keys) FBA ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)