Re: windows ce emulator visual studio 2008

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:03:01 -0800, kahlua001us
<kahlua001us@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The link about the differences between CE and PocketPCs
helped. I'm still unclear on this:

"For example a Pocket PC application will not run on a Windows CE 3.0 device
if the application uses any of the Pocket PC Platform-specific APIs or
controls."

If I chose a Windows CE project in VS, and I intend it to run on Windows CE
without any other sdk/platform(Pocket PC flavors),

If you find a device that has Windows CE without any other platform,
please let us know; I'm quite sure I'm not the only one here who will
be surprised (but I've been wrong often enough to avoid declaring that
no such device exists.)

then how can I best debug
this using an accurate emulator? In other words, the emulator should look
like a barebones CE os.

The line that I quoted is interesting. If eventually, I wanted to distribute
this application on both Windows CE and Pocket PCs, then if I designed the
app using only common functinality between the two, then there should be
nothing special I need to consider other than deploying to a different sdk?
The compiler would do the rest of the work?

Good luck. I've been trying to maximize portability of my Windows CE
apps the whole 11 years I've been working on them. I gave up when
Pocket PC 2003 came out; the menus just don't work. That's why I
suggested that you read my earlier post. Chris Tacke, Paul G. Tobey,
and I engaged in several discussions on this topic over the years. I
think the most informative is the 30 Aug - 3 Sep 2004 thread called
"Windows CE 4.x Applications" in
microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development.

Thanks for your input as I work this thru in my head.

"r_z_aret@xxxxxxxxxxxx" wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:19:00 -0800, kahlua001us