Re: XP SP3 - Hid KB77165 - Other 11 Installed in Groups OK

Thanks, Robear. From your clarification on the types of machines having the
problem I went ahead and tried/Installed Successfully KB977165. It's nice to
get this Update out of the way.

If I may impose, a low-expertise friend has Free AVG which you obviously
dislike. What's your current preference in lieu of AVG Free?

All the best! Craig

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

KB977165 because it was (advertised) to be the cause of Blue Screens some
had posted about.

The vast majority of WinXP users have NOT experienced a BSOD after
installing KB977165. Then again, that vast majority of users don't have
hijackware-infested computers and aren't running lousy AV apps like AVG (or
the freebie McAfee or Norton suite from their ISP) nor have their AV
subscriptions ever expired.

That being said, KB977615 is "merely" an Important update, not a Critical
update. Running the KB979682 Fix It is an acceptable workaround for /one/
of the security vulnerabilities addressed by KB977165 but not for the second

..."To avoid
these (known) issues, we recommend that you close GPedit.msc before you
the Fix it solution."

If it's a home computer, I'd very much doubt there are any Group Policies in
place, Craig.

Should you encounter problems after installing KB977165 manually (it's no
longer being pushed via Automatic Updates)...

(and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in
Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge
for support calls that are associated with security updates. When you call,
clearly state that your problem is related to a Security Update and cite the
update's KB number (e.g., KB977165).

If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE, call the
above number and ask to be transferred to the "Consumer IE queue" (which is

Or you can...

Consumer Security Support home page & Microsoft Update Solution Center also
offer support options

your usual support contacts.

Craig S wrote:
Hi Shenan and Robear: I thought I was saying (in Title) that I installed
out of 12 Updates in groups Successfully vs. all at once and Omitted
KB977165 because it was (advertised) to be the cause of Blue Screens some
had posted about. I suggested trying that if your tolerance for any other
possible issues surfaced. I Disabled Realtime on 3 Security Apps because
different FW users had Fixed Update Problems by Disabling their FWs.

I haven't done Robear's suggestion because I got to it and read "To avoid
these (known) issues, we recommend that you close GPedit.msc before you
the Fix it solution." I Googled and didn't find an easy "How to" for that
I thought I'd see if MS came up with a fix of its own. Normally if I have
beers in the frig I'll try some things like this without waiting.
Thanks for the Replies!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
Why did you hide KB977165 (which is no longer being "pushed" via

Have you run Fix It #50364 in
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Craig S wrote:
I Disabled Malwarebytes and SuperAS Real-time + AV Real-Time, Hid the
advertised Updates Problem in Title, and Downloaded - Installed in
5, 3, 3 at a time. One in the last Group Failed 1st Download but Did
the next Re-try.

I suspect KB77165 is the single culprit BUT attempt Updates per your
tolerance WITH the Problem Update Un-checked and/or Hidden via Custom