Re: KB953297

Thank you for taking the time in helping others resolve this problem.
Hopefully all will be well when I go through with process. Much appreciated.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may
receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 (23 Oct-09)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

=====================

Step #1 => Before doing anything else, write down what .NET Framework
versions are currently installed:

How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and
whether service packs have been applied
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785

Step #2 => Now see Resolution Method 2 in this related KB article...

When you try to install an update for the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0,
or 3.5, you may receive Windows Update error code "0x643" or Windows
Installer error code "1603" (ignore the title, if need be)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100

After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool, reinstall all .NET Framework
versions (but only the ones you wrote down in #1 above) manually using the
download links on the page then run Windows Update manually to install
security updates for same.

NB: If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) using the tool, reinstalling .NET
Framework 3.5 will also install .Net Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2; then
Windows Update will offer .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

IMPORTANT! => If you remove .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1), reinstall your .NET
Framework versions in the following order:

1. .Net Framework 3.5, then...
2. .Net Framework 1.1, then...
3. .Net Framework 1.1 SP1

NB: KB923100 references this page:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx. Please read
ALL of it as well as the related page
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx before using the .NET
Framework Cleanup Tool.

Step #3 => Check-in at Windows Update and install any critical security
updates offered.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Nancy wrote:
I am using XP. The above update will not install. I see from this board
that this is a universal problem. I tried calling Microsoft to
help....what
a joke that was. I see that many people have asked how to just stop it
from
trying to install but I don't see any answers to that. So I'm asking
again.
How do you just make it stop trying to install this????? Please help.
This
is a nightmare with my computer.

  • Re: KB943460 / Software Distribution Service 3.0 System Restore Pr
    ... I'm not either but it's certainly a distinct possibility, especially since you're relying on McAfee Security Center. ... If you'd installed SP3 and then Windows Update offered the machine KB943460, something's VERY wrong with your computer! ... Once Windows Update runs it sets up system restore point under the heading ... KB943460 specifically I just install all the updates. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: .NET Security updates fail - KB979906 & KB979909
    ... There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security updates. ... When installing updates using Windows update or Microsoft Update you may receive Error 0x643 or 0x80070643 ... How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and whether service packs have been applied ... After running the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool (not the Windows Installer Cleanup utility!), reinstall all .NET Framework versions manually using the download links on the page then run Windows Update manually to install security updates for same. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: error code 0x800a0007
    ... security settings appear as ON, and had no third party firewalls. ... Thanks again, Juan. ... Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Installation essential .NET-FW-updates fails - error 0x643+0x8
    ... You want NET Framework 3.5 full package. ... A note on the downloadpage says: ... this the one I should install, or should I first install the 'bootstrapper ... check-in at Windows Update again to make sure no ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Problem with Windows Update for XP x64 (no error message).
    ... Start a free Windows Update support incident request: ... Support for Windows Update: ... There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security updates. ... Content Install Reboot completed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)