Re: Windows Update Problem With IE8 (I think)

Mechanics like to fix things. That's my only excuse. :-)
--

Don't pick a fight with an old man.
If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eVheGEuOKHA.352@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In many, many cases, doing a "wipe & reload" will be the fastest way to resolve all problems and leave you with a 100% safe computer.

Michael wrote:
I was afraid someone would suggest this. :-) Booting to the recovery
partition is a no-brainer on a Dell. I was just trying to tax myself and
track the culprit down.
Thanks PA Bear.
--

Don't pick a fight with an old man.
If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
You probably have MUCH more work to do!

2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection'
scan (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075

. http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
. http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
. http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
. http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
security updates.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Michael wrote:
OS is XP Home SP3. My son's laptop and it's been almost a year since
I've
seen it. AU works, but every time I go to Microsoft Update it fails. It
will scan for updates, then after a couple minutes, right before the
updates
page opens, an error box pops-up. The error code is 0xc0000005. I did a
search for this error and mosty found it associated with IE problems.
Before I ran WU I ran Malwarebytes and found a ton of crap, which it
removed. I then ran Avast and it found and removed another ton of crap.
Below is a portion of the WU log. I hope it isn't too much.

  • Re: Problem with lkbdhlpr files
    ... "Don't pick a fight with an old man. ... If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." ... need screenshots right now, but I will tell you how anyway in case you ... OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: RAM Problem Update!
    ... Installed it and Windows Experience bumped back up to 5.5, ... If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. ... and your existing RAM and motherboard supports only 1.8 Volts. ...
  • Re: Dont want Office Online to show
    ... "Don't pick a fight with an old man. ... If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." ... This is disappointing that when the little Office Online windows keep ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: I Just Want You To Know...
    ... That all the wonderful support you all gave me a few weeks back ended ... Friends do that because that's what ... Don't fight an old man. ... He can't fight so he might kill you!! ...
    (alt.support.chronic-pain)
  • Re: RAM Problem
    ... If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. ... cannot adjust the RAM timing in the motherboard's BIOS. ... Windows help - www.rickrogers.org ...