Re: Windows Update Problem With IE8 (I think)

Mechanics like to fix things. That's my only excuse. :-)
--

Don't pick a fight with an old man.
If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eVheGEuOKHA.352@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In many, many cases, doing a "wipe & reload" will be the fastest way to resolve all problems and leave you with a 100% safe computer.

Michael wrote:
I was afraid someone would suggest this. :-) Booting to the recovery
partition is a no-brainer on a Dell. I was just trying to tax myself and
track the culprit down.
Thanks PA Bear.
--

Don't pick a fight with an old man.
If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
You probably have MUCH more work to do!

2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection'
scan (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075

. http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
. http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
. http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
. http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
security updates.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Michael wrote:
OS is XP Home SP3. My son's laptop and it's been almost a year since
I've
seen it. AU works, but every time I go to Microsoft Update it fails. It
will scan for updates, then after a couple minutes, right before the
updates
page opens, an error box pops-up. The error code is 0xc0000005. I did a
search for this error and mosty found it associated with IE problems.
Before I ran WU I ran Malwarebytes and found a ton of crap, which it
removed. I then ran Avast and it found and removed another ton of crap.
Below is a portion of the WU log. I hope it isn't too much.

.