Re: Error number: 0x80244FFF

Automatic updates were on and the failures seem to have started around 8/9/9.
I noticed it some time later when I did a manual check to see where I stood
and got the error. Event log entries haven't help except to identify the
first failure date.

Over the last few weeks I have followed all your suggestions up to the point
of obtaining help from one of the hijackware sites.

Even pulled the drive and ran all the antivirus/adware/malware/rootkit
software I could get my hands on against it from another system via USB
connection.

Even downloaded and forced reinstall of Windows Update Agent to latest level.

What is really interesting is that nothing else fails on the laptop.
However, I did notice one other program that thinks something is wrong.
Running Secunia PSI, an incidental error log entry pops up that reads:

"Check that the Windows Update service is running on the Host and that you
use the correct administrative login credentials. NOTE: This means that
certain Microsoft products for this Host, are listed with a potential
incorrect security state."

Auto Update service is set to Automatic and is Started. BITS is manual.
There is only one login on the laptop - mine and is the administrator (guest
is OFF). Don't know what could be wrong with credentials.
I have been trying to figure out what 'potential incorrect security state'
means.

I've been using MBSA to find any security updates recently released,
download them individually and install. No problems doing this.

Mike Cebula

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

This isn't your first Windows Update problem, is it, Mike? =>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/a2a2cad66e142d80

You're probably seeing the effects of a hijackware infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as well.**

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Mike Cebula wrote:
No help to date.

However, when I tried to install the latest version of ZoneAlarm, it said
wasn't on SP3 and was on SP0.

I figured that might have something to do with the problem so I downloaded
SP3 standalone and reinstalled it.

ZoneAlarm then installed OK.

Tried to do a Windows Update and got the same failure.

"Mike Cebula" wrote:
No matter whether I choose Express or Custom, the update function fails
with error 0x80244FFF. The error description is a catch-all and doesn't
help at all.

I thought possibly IE had something wrong and so upgraded to version 8.
Same failure.

I have rebooted, made sure nothing else was running, and still have no
clue
what to chase down.

  • Re: Error 0x80070020 Windows Update
    ... I attempted to load the latest Windows update software and get the ... I'll just manually download updates. ... Note that you only need to uninstall the interferer to do the update's install phase. ... stems from an automatic download of Microsoft Compression ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • RE: KB955428 update patch for microsoft woks 8
    ... kept getting Windows Update refusing to install. ... Windows Update downloaded but could not install the Works8 update. ... Download the file KB955428_en-US.cab. ... Once you have downloaded it to your desktop, double-click the icon on ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Defragmenter not installed Error
    ... Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the ... Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here: ... Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications. ...
  • Re: My computer (XP) keeps turning itself off, Please Help?
    ... Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the ... Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here: ... Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications. ...
  • Re: error 80070424 windows update VISTA
    ... [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates] ... Windows Update history shows that all Microsoft Updates (Office, ... can download the latest WUA in order to install it manually. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)