Re: Green security shield and automate restart

Thanks for your feedback. Everything OK now?

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/computer/default.mspx

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/spyware/prevent.mspx

Steps to Help Prevent Computer Worms
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/worms/prevent.mspx

Avoid Rogue Security Software!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/rogue.mspx

See you again, soon! <wink>

lineal wrote:
Ι started posting in Microsoft communities windows update forum in 2005.
At the time my first p/c broke down and I purchased a new one, in the
beginning I was constantly worrying about the windows updates and checking
them one by one in the add-remove list comparing with the microsoft papers
for each and every month.
I had permanently problems with trojans and invasions etc security issues.
Now this is the third system I'm using to surf (and the third one bought),
but this time I have broadband and somehow it seems things are better, since
I have except for the antivirus, the software firewall and the antispyware,
also the router that has a separate hardware firewall.
All this time I used different emails and different logins for the forum,
but I think I noticed always some "bear" answering to me.
It's not a compliment, it is a coincidence, no?
Yeap, it's always me but I logged in with an alternative user name.
The automatic updates are turned on and the warning was as you say.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Thanks for the compliment. Are you and "lineal" the same person? Did the
green-icon alert say something like "An important security update was
installed and an automatic restart was required" and is Automatic Updates
set to the Automatic setting?

E. T. wrote:
OK and what about the security shield on the taskbar that turned green?
This startled more than other things. Is that OK, too?
(Tks for the answers, I believe it's always you answering to my dum
questions, a long time now).

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
Many, if not most, security updates don't fully install until you reboot
so
yes, it's both OK and normal.

Furthermore, another update in the queue may require a reboot before it
will install, too.

Windows Update and Automatic Reboots
http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/2008/10/02/windows-update-and-automatic-reboots.aspx

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

lineal wrote:
Twice now I had the usually yellow (when updates are waiting) security
shield on the taskbar of my Windows XP turned green and an alert said
"some
important security update was installed in windows and required
automated
restart", which happenned after a few seconds.
Never before hadn't seen this, and I'd like to know if it is OK or
suspect.

.