Re: Error number: 0x80244FFF
- From: "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 02:03:31 -0400
This isn't your first Windows Update problem, is it, Mike? => http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/a2a2cad66e142d80
You're probably seeing the effects of a hijackware infection!
NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!
1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually: http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx
NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
Checking for/Help with Hijackware
**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0, http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup, http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php, http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as well.**
If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
Mike Cebula wrote:
No help to date.
However, when I tried to install the latest version of ZoneAlarm, it said I
wasn't on SP3 and was on SP0.
I figured that might have something to do with the problem so I downloaded
SP3 standalone and reinstalled it.
ZoneAlarm then installed OK.
Tried to do a Windows Update and got the same failure.
"Mike Cebula" wrote:No matter whether I choose Express or Custom, the update function fails
with error 0x80244FFF. The error description is a catch-all and doesn't
help at all.
I thought possibly IE had something wrong and so upgraded to version 8.
I have rebooted, made sure nothing else was running, and still have no clue
what to chase down.
- Prev by Date: RE: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update
- Next by Date: Re: Conflict between Windows XP & Windows Live OneCare
- Previous by thread: RE: Error number: 0x80244FFF
- Next by thread: RE: java virtual machine