Windows XP Pro SP3 update failed

IE 7, Windows XP Pro SP2, patched through August 2009.

SP3 update fails to complete, including one attempt in safe mode using an SP3 CD.

Error message when I try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" and "Service Pack installation did not complete"

I guess I'm
going to have to run subinacl. I really hate running a program which
does a major job on the registry because of the potential for disaster.
Is it possible to run this with a command option that will produce a log
file which shows which registry keys were altered? Other than doing a
full backup and shutting down as many programs as possible, are there
any other precautions I should take before running subinacl? Thanks.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems. State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first post.

John wrote:
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
“Service Pack installation did not complete”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

=> Possible fixes include http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222 &
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-the-registry-and-the-file-permissions-in-windows-xp/

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2, patched through August 2009, and I am
also unable to get SP3 to install, including an attempt in safe mode
using the SP3 CD. I'm getting these exact error messages, so I guess I'm

--
Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true
email address to prevent spam. Thank you.