Windows XP Pro SP3 update failed

IE 7, Windows XP Pro SP2, patched through August 2009.

SP3 update fails to complete, including one attempt in safe mode using an SP3 CD.

Error message when I try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" and "Service Pack installation did not complete"

I guess I'm
going to have to run subinacl. I really hate running a program which
does a major job on the registry because of the potential for disaster.
Is it possible to run this with a command option that will produce a log
file which shows which registry keys were altered? Other than doing a
full backup and shutting down as many programs as possible, are there
any other precautions I should take before running subinacl? Thanks.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems. State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2) in your first post.

John wrote:
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
“Service Pack installation did not complete”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

=> Possible fixes include http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222 &
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-the-registry-and-the-file-permissions-in-windows-xp/

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2, patched through August 2009, and I am
also unable to get SP3 to install, including an attempt in safe mode
using the SP3 CD. I'm getting these exact error messages, so I guess I'm

--
Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true
email address to prevent spam. Thank you.

  • Re: Windows XP Pro SP3 update failed
    ... The fact that you've encountered the Access Denied problem could be of some concern, yes, but let's not put the cart before the horse just yet, please. ... Does either of the two fixes I posted correct the problem and allow SP3 to install? ... situations which would result in the permissions of any registry keys ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Why do we still need SP2?
    ... How come they didnt' do the same thing with SP3, ... Windows XP was originally released without service packs - ... It's true - you can take a fully installed and operating Windows XP RTM (no ... install SP3 onto the same install without first installing SP1/1a or SP2. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Updates
    ... I had all the updates, but then picked up some virus and ended up ... I still know people running Windows 98 happily. ... I have been running Windows XP since its release, been using SP3 since ... Reboot right before you try to install SP3. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: XP SP3 Installation...
    ... should only have one anti-virus application loading at boot and running in the background, uninstall AntiVir & reboot. ... the background when you installed SP3 may have given you a "horked" install. ... Temporarily disable all real-time protections afforded by your anti-virus application, any anti-spyware applications, and any third-party firewall prior to installing SP3. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Crap SP3 update
    ... I just finished a clean install of Windows XP Pro with SP3 on a new high-end ... Windows Update (and Microsoft Update) now fail. ... tricks to fix the problem that worked for me previously with SP2 to no avail. ... There are definitely problems with SP3. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)