Re: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update

Gary wrote:

You then right click on the folder and change ownership of the entire folder as outlined in the support page.

Are we looking at the same support page? The one I referenced provides no instructions on how to take ownership of a file or folder, which is why I suggested following the associated topic link - although I've just realized that the link in question is dead. :-(

For the record, you take ownership of a file (or folder) by right-clicking on the file (or folder) and selecting Properties. Then you go to the Security tab, click on Advanced, select the Owner tab, and select your account in the list under "Change owner to". If it's a folder, you probably want to turn on "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects". Then press OK.

At that point you should be able to change the permissions, unless there's a more serious problem such as file system corruption.

HOWEVER ... to complicate matters, the Security tab won't appear in the default Windows configuration - I'd forgotten about this. The simplest way to work around this is probably to boot to Safe Mode.

You don't actually need to log in as "Administrator" - any administrative account will do. If in doubt, however, as to which accounts are administrative, "Administrator" is probably your best bet.

Harry.

Gary wrote:

To Kris and others who have been unable to delete this type of file:

Kris wrote:

Hi, I followed the instructions in the article you linked to and it didn't do a thing. You can't change the permissions for this particular folder and it's impossible to remove it.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081>

Ever cryptic, Microsoft support pages like this one are almost always very specific, requiring you to follow every step but rarely CLEARLY OUTLINING THEM (I'm not yelling here, I'm just highlighting the problem element :)

The FIRST step you must take is to start windows XP in safe mode before attempting to do anything else with these files.

AFTER you have successfully started XP in safe mode, you must log in as "Administrator" and then go to the C: directory (or where ever the leftover folder is located). You then right click on the folder and change ownership of the entire folder as outlined in the support page. The safe bet is that the 'administrator' option in the first one in the list that comes up after right-clicking the folder icon, but make sure to check the 'administrator' box. This may or may not bring up yet another dialog box requiring you to check the 'allow' box under 'full control'. Once this is correctly accomplished, you can delete the folder (which will also delete all of the files in it and any subfolders).

You do NOT need "to reference ANY of the "related topics" shown in the right-hand margin, particularly on the subject of taking ownership of a file/folder." You simply need to be in safe mode and logged in as an administrator and then follow the steps as outlined.

I don't don't why so many people have such a hard time just laying out the instructions so anyone, novice or expert, can follow them, but I hope this helps.
.