Re: A possible leftover folder after a Windows Update

To Kris and others who have been unable to delete this type of file:

Kris wrote:

Hi, I followed the instructions in the article you linked to and it didn't do
a thing. You can't change the permissions for this particular folder and it's
impossible to remove it.

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081>

Ever cryptic, Microsoft support pages like this one are almost always very
specific, requiring you to follow every step but rarely CLEARLY OUTLINING
THEM (I'm not yelling here, I'm just highlighting the problem element :)

The FIRST step you must take is to start windows XP in safe mode before
attempting to do anything else with these files.

AFTER you have successfully started XP in safe mode, you must log in as
"Administrator" and then go to the C: directory (or where ever the leftover
folder is located). You then right click on the folder and change ownership
of the entire folder as outlined in the support page. The safe bet is that
the 'administrator' option in the first one in the list that comes up after
right-clicking the folder icon, but make sure to check the 'administrator'
box. This may or may not bring up yet another dialog box requiring you to
check the 'allow' box under 'full control'. Once this is correctly
accomplished, you can delete the folder (which will also delete all of the
files in it and any subfolders).

You do NOT need "to reference ANY of the "related topics" shown in the
right-hand margin, particularly on the subject of taking ownership of a
file/folder." You simply need to be in safe mode and logged in as an
administrator and then follow the steps as outlined.

I don't don't why so many people have such a hard time just laying out the
instructions so anyone, novice or expert, can follow them, but I hope this
helps.
.