Re: Windows could not search for for new updates 0x80070081

Well, Well, Well

Resetting Windows Update components using the link provided by "PA Bear"
seems to have done the trick. I chose to download the automated "Fix It" tool
using the "non-aggressive" option in the first instance and all seems to have
worked fine! I must say I am surprised as I had lost hope in recovering from
this error and was readying myself for a format and re-installation.

I now have 9 (319.5 MB of various) Updates ready for installation, some of
which were "published" as long ago as 24/02/09. My usual reaction to
available updates is to select all and install - but I thought on this
occasion it would be a good idea to ask for any further advice before I
resume my normal behaviour??

Thank you for all the advice and help - much appreciated

Khublai Khan

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Re-open the Support Incident and ask for a Level 2 technician or supervisor.
Tell them an MVP told you to do this.

Otherwise...

1. Try this FixIt: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

2. If still no joy...

Backup your personal data, then do a format & clean install of Windows.
Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/xppc.mspx
--
~PA Bear

Khublai Khan wrote:
Just an update in regard to this issue, I started a support incident and
followed their instructions (this was running some program on my PC which
collected info and sent it back to support).

Unfortunately, they were unable to ascertain what the problem was and
suggested I use this site for help from the MVP's.

Ahh well - thanks for the help anyway guys!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

I'm afraid all we're left with is for your to...

in
subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated
with
security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
related to installing Security Updates.

For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
through
your usual support contacts.

Good luck.

Khublai Khan wrote:
Hi,

In answer to your questions:

Q) Is Automatic Updates enabled?
A)Yes - the setting is "Check for updates but let me choose whether to
download and install them"

Q) Are you certain that you're running Vista (x64) SP1 and not SP2, and
that
you didn't attempt to install SP2 (or any other updates) manually?
A) Its definately SP1 and x64 - As shown under "Control Panel > System"

Q) What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is
your
subscription current?
A) Avast free anti-virus - definitions up to date - I have disabled this
and
tried to check for updates but I get the same result.

Q) What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
A) None

Q) What third-party firewall (if any)?
A) None

Q) Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on
this
machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
bought
it)?
A) None

Q) Is the computer still under Warranty or Service Contract?
A) No afraid not

Q) Are you dual-booting or have you attempted to perform a Repair
Install?
A) No dual boot, I have not attempted repair install (would not know how
to), I thought it would be wise to seek advice on the matter first ;)

Thank you for your help and advice

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

I'm afraid the lone reference I can find to that error doesn't tell us
much:

0x80070081 ERROR_CHILD_NOT_COMPLETE
The %1 application cannot be run in Win32 mode

In no certain order...

Is Automatic Updates enabled?

Are you certain that you're running Vista (x64) SP1 and not SP2, and
that
you didn't attempt to install SP2 (or any other updates) manually?

subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
bought
it)?

Is the computer still under Warranty or Service Contract?

Are you dual-booting or have you attempted to perform a Repair Install?
--
~PA Bear

Khublai Khan wrote:
Thank you for your reply,

When I turn my PC on I get a notification icon for windows update - a
large
message bubble appears which states "Windows can't search for
updates" -
when double click it I end up at "Control Panel>Windows Update" - now
when
I click the "check for updates" button I get the error message as
shown
in
the subject of this thread.

I hope this is what you wanted to know, sorry if it is not. I can
provide
further feedback as required.

Thanks in advance

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
What are you doing when you get the error and how are you doing it?

Khublai Khan wrote:
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64 - Installed updates 22nd July (The
Microsoft
Office Suite Service Pack 2 and KB951847) since then I get this
error:

"Windows could not search for for new updates" (Error 0x80070081)

I have tried restore to 18th July - but I get the same error.

When I go to "Installed Updates" via "Program and Features" (with
the
intention to remove these updates) it says "There are no updates
installed
on this computer".

Googling this issue is not much help.

I have noticed that these same two updates were successfully
installed
on
the 19th July and again on the 22nd.

.