Re: Update finally loads, but doesn't work!

You may have missed...

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as well.**
--
~PA Bear

Ken G wrote:
Thanks. I downloaded and ran full scan MSRT and it found nothing. I ran a
ful scan with Malwarebytes and it found nothing, so I started trawling
again, and found someone (in the web - not in the newsgroups) with an
identical lead up to my problem. ie recently cleaned of a virus - in my
case about two months ago. They also could not start BITS and discovered
that even though their system had been cleaned, two remnants remained. In
the registry they discovered two occurrences of "%fystemRoot%" where the S
had been changed to an f. I searched my registry for %fystemRoot%, found
that I also had two occurences and changed them back to %SystemRoot% and
everything works again.

I'll post this separately in this group.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Error message when you search for available updates on the Windows Update
Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site: "0x80246008":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956706

You receive a "The necessary services are disabled or unavailable" error
message when you connect to the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or to the
Microsoft Update Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883822

The above notwithstanding, there is a very good chance that you are seeing
the effects of a hijackware infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as well.**

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Ken G wrote:
Sorry again - fat finger syndrome. The error code is 0x80246008 not as per
my previous post.

Sorry, I should have said what I did - I followed the instructions on
this
page ...

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx

The error code is 0x80266408

"TaurArian" wrote:
You failed to advise how you fixed the initial problem, it might be
relevant.
More information is required.
On the WU Website, select your history of updates - now click on failed
update (red mark) and see if there is an error code.
If there is an error code, write it down and post back or in the
alternative, do a search for the error code.

For the past few days I've been trawling the newsgroups for a fix for
the
inability to load Microsoft Update in XP Pro SP3. Finally found a fix
that successfully opened the update window and it found 16 high
priority
updates
that I'd missed while update wouldn't work.

When I clicked the install button, the whole list just whizzed past in
about
half a second and said they'd all failed to load.

Where to from here?

  • Re: Ineternet Explorer Stops Working!
    ... Never post or use your real email address when posting to public newsgroups or forums. ... ~Robear Dyer ... > and parcel of Windows. ... > Andy wrote: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Cannot startup
    ... PA Bear wrote: ... You may receive error code 0x80004005 or other error codes when you try to ... start a Windows XP-based computer: ... running Windows XP SP1 and later versions of Windows XP: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Update Error 80070246
    ... windows update screen after it attempts to do the updates. ... "PA Bear" wrote: ... support calls that are associated with security updates. ... The error code come from the Windows Update window as follows: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Corrupt files: WindowsXP-KB922582-x86-ENU.exe and WindowsXP-KB8427