Re: How to fix error 0x8007002 on MS update

"JWP" <JWP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:7AA4C7E5-6EB0-4E6E-8D65-4B0A67348A9F@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi
The first link did not resolve the issue or help. So I didn't expect much
out of the 2nd link. But, unbelieveably it worked (temporarily -kb933528) I
was able to get through. But, as the link describes, I deleted the new
account afterwords. And now, I'm right back where I was before your help.
Still, thanks for the help.

According to Belarc Advisor, I'm still missing 2 critical updates also.

Knowing that your 2nd suggestion worked, do you have a hypothesis about what
is going on here?

Why would a newly created User be able to get through to
WU/MU and not the usual one?

Because the registry (in ntuser.dat) is corrupt.

The 0x80070002 code implies that there is a file missing,
so both things taken together could imply that the corruption
involves a registry value which contains a file name (for example.)

You could use ProcMon to uncover such differences.
E.g. trace the install for both cases and then compare the traces.
It might even be sufficient just to trace the broken case.
E.g. that trace might give you a more specific symptom
than just that error code. ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

--
JWP

"TaurArian" wrote:

Windows Update or Microsoft Update
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/updates/mu.mspx
Vista / Windows XP / Windows 2000
Note with SP2 installed, the option to use MU is now found elsewhere within
the control panel.

Okay, so you're not trying to update a Vista computer via the windows update
website and are using WU through the control panel. When you switch to using
MU nothing happens.

Then perhaps this will be of interest -
Error message when you try to install Microsoft Update on a Windows
Vista-based computer: "Could not install Microsoft Update on the computer"

guarantees and doesn''''t give any rights.

"JWP" wrote:

I don't really know how to be any clearer. But I will endeavor to explain
again.

1. I use Windows update (WU) frequently.
2. I access WU via IE8 (as delivered with Vista Home Premium) by clicking
through the tool bar.
3. I do have automatic updates on also.
4. Again, I do NOT have a problem with WU.

5. On WU, if you are aware, there is a small link listed that asks if you'd
like more updates for Microsoft products.
6. I click on that link
7. The link takes me to the Microsoft update (MU) site.
8. It asks to install and for my agreement, which I do.
9. The screen changes and briefly displays some verbiage at the top of the
screens (for perhaps 4 to 7 seconds)
10. then I get the Error screen where the code 0x80070002 appears off on
the top right hand side
11. It provides a link to resolve the problem - but it only leads to XP
solutions
12. The screen provides other links above #11 - Find solutions, groups, etc
and I've tried them all - creating batch files, renaming
softwaredistribution, the readiness tool, and so on
13. I am here as a last option.

14. I start any Office application and try try to obtain updates, the links
within the application(s) take be back to step #7.
15. I pursue the same sequence and get identical results.

16. The problem is with accessing the MU website - it has nothing to do
with thw WU site

17. What else can I do to help make clearer to anyone to obtain information
to resolve this issue

--
JWP

"TaurArian" wrote:

Are you trying to access the Office Update website and/or the Microsoft
Update wesite?
You can't access Windows/Microsoft Update webpage in Vista.
These options are control within Vista. You'll need to change your settings
so that it include Office Updates.

guarantees and doesn''''t give any rights.

"JWP" wrote:

I have an OS: Vista Home Premium. I installed SP2 for Vista tonight. I am
aware that the update is available through WU. I do not have any problems
with WU. I am not trying to update the OS. Again, I have no problem with
windows update.

I am unable to use MU, which is necessary to get Office 2007 updates. I
cannot get there as I always get a return code of 0x8007002. I am unable to
access the microsoft update site. As I stated, I've tried every suggested
remedy to resolve the issue, but nothing works.

I mentioned the Vista SP2 only to convey the fact that I can access WU but
not MU

"TaurArian" wrote:

I have Vista Home Premium with SP2 installed tonight to etermine if that
will fix the problem.

Vista updates via the control panel not the WU/MU site?

Please confirm exactly what OS you're trying to update.

guarantees and doesn''''t give any rights.

"JWP" wrote:

Nothing seems to fix the problem

I've tried every remedy listed through the various threads here, which
includes building the batch file, renaming softwaredistribution, and the
readiness tool.

I do NOT have any problem accessing, using and updating from Windows update
site.

But I am NOT able to access the Office and Microsoft update sites - always I
get the same error return code 0x80070002

I have Vista Home Premium with SP2 installed tonight to etermine if that
will fix the problem.

What else is there to do?

.