Re: Vista Update crashed the computer

Thanks. Repost:
From your previous reply, I assume you downloaded/installed the KB927387
patch. If so, you should be able to install KB961620 without encountering
any problems. In fact, I'm surprised that it hasn't been installed
already by Automatic Updates (unless you managed to hide it).
--
~PA Bear

Ferg wrote:
It came without SP1, it's a year old. SP1was installed via Windows Update.

"PA Bear wrote:
Can you tell me if the machine came with SP1 preinstalled, Mike, or if you
installed it via Windows Update after you got the computer?

Moving on...

From your previous reply, I assume you downloaded/installed the KB927387
patch. If so, you should be able to install KB961620 without encountering
any problems. In fact, I'm surprised that it hasn't been installed
already by Automatic Updates (unless you managed to hide it).
--
~PA Bear

Ferg wrote:
Yes the Dell is a Vista Home Premium SP1 machine. I had to use my XP
machine to post hrere since the Vista Computer would not boot to Windows.
The holdup is KB961260, it was the one that said pending after I got the
machine to boot. I have done the remaining updates but I am afraid to
try
the Cumulative update to IE7 again. I have done cleanups, defrag, full
chkdsk and removed all resore points other that the most recent.
Do you think there is something else I should do before I give the update
try?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
No beers until you answer my question: Is Vista SP1 installed or not?
(You post here using OE on a WinXP SP2 machine; If you posted using
Windows Mail in Vista, I'd be able to tell if SP1 was installed.)

Has KB961620 installed (yet)?

Ferg wrote:
Thank you very much for the link to Knowledge base
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358 That fixed the boot up problem
perfectly.
It looks like the Cumulative Security for Internet Explorer 7 for
Windows
Vista (KB961260) is the problem. It shows pending in the update
history.
Again, Thanks, I owe you one. If you ever get to St. Louis I'll buy
you
beer.

PA Bear wrote:
This may be related to SP1. Is Vista SP1 installed or not? <=JUST a
question, not a recommendation!

The update is not installed successfully, you receive a message, and
the
computer restarts when you try to install an update in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

A software update is available for the Windows Vista installation
software
feature:
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Ferg wrote:
Dell Inspiron 1420, one year old. 2 gigs ram, Vista Home Premium.
It's been unused for two weeks and when I started it up it installed
the
February updates and restarted. It now comes up with: configuring
updates:
stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete. Then it says shutting down and shuts
down.
Then
it restarts. This process just loops until I turn off via power
button.
All the drive tests and windows tests with the Dell DVD show normal.
It
even
says it boots normally
I have tried to do every startup option with the F8 key.
System Restore even from the Dell DVD crashes with a blue screen.
Stop: c000021a {Fatal Sytem Error}
The NT initial command process system terninated unexpectidly with a
status
of -x0000001 (c0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down.

I shutter at the thought of calling Dell.
I would rather not wipe out the hard drive with a complete reinstall.
need to get the files from the Documents.
Does anyone have any idea what I can do to stop this install so the
computer
will boot?
I do have a SATA drive enclosure I can put the disk in so I can
delete
whatever files that could cause this.

I know Microsoft will help for free on SP1 issues but what about
Windows
Updates?
Thanks.

  • Re: Start Menu, Icons Not Appearing
    ... Also, make sure your system has no malware, download, install and run Ad ... Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, ... To Setup Windows XP now, ... To Repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery Console press R. ...
  • Re: Cannot Boot Into any Option for Safe Mode
    ... NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the original XP CD maybe help? ... How To Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP ... An upgrade will probably not fix anything where a clean install might. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: WINDOWS XP WONT BOOT
    ... you can to a repair install but you cannot do it ... Now, if a retail disk doesn't work, you could install XP to a different ... When I rebooted, it told me to hit> any key to start CD ROM boot and then it went back into> the same old screen as I originally described. ... The disc I was using> was the Windows XP disc that came with my Dell but since I> bought it, the hard drive had to be changed and I now have ...
  • Re: PLEASE HELP: 2 ERROR MESSAGES
    ... The advice to do a repair install, turned out to be a grievous and expensive ... The repair install caused a corruption and windows became ... It seems as though it would not boot from the CD ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Automatic Downloads Activation Issues
    ... repair install as follows: ... NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data files intact, if ... Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive and you have an ... with the option to setup Windows or Repair Windows Installation ...