Error code 80070422

I can't check for updates. I went through all the steps it told me to:

Open Administrative Tools.

Double-click Services. If you are prompted for an administrator password or
confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Right-click the Windows Update service, and then click Properties.

On the General tab, next to Startup type, make sure that Automatic is
selected.

However, I'm still getting the same error code 80070422, "Windows could not
search for new updates."

Help? (I have vista, if that changes anything)

  • Re: Error code 80070422
    ... :: I can't check for updates. ... :: Open Administrative Tools. ... Error message when you try to install updates by using the Windows Update ... Web site or the Microsoft Update Web site: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Application Error on Startup
    ... Automatic Updates Startup Type is Set to Automatic. ... Background Intelligent Transfer Service Startup Type is Set to Manual. ... Here is the full error message from the Event Viewer: ... Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module ...
  • Found my problem why Windows Updates was always disabled - Virtumonde!
    ... I posted here yesterday that my Windows Update service would not ... I had scaned for malware, trojans, etc and really hadn't found ... First off I check the system32 folder to make sure I got no random ... Then the big test - went back to Automatic Updates tab - clicked turn ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Cannot installl updates
    ... Automatic update Status = started Startuptype = automatic ... Installing Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP ... select just _ONE_ of the high priority updates ... In the Startup type list, what is each of them set to? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: repeat failed to install
    ... The Automatic Updates service needs to be set to Automatic for Startup type. ... The Background Intelligent Background Service can be set to either Manual or Automatic for Startup type. ... evry time i try to install themhave it fails with a code OX80070426. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)