Re: No updates since installing XP Pro SP3

Do another manual check at WU. When/if nothing happens, close IE.
Open the WindowsUpdate.log and post back with the *last* 50 or so lines of it, please: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Splash wrote:

Since installing SP3 onto one of my XP Pro PC I seem unable to receive any updates, either via automatic updates or by manually updating via IE7 - Tools - Windows Update.
When I reach the Windows update page and select "Express" I get the usual message telling me that it's checking for updates.
Then I always receive the comment:
"Download size (total): 0 KB"
"Estimated time at your connection speed: 0 minutes"
"No high-priority updates for your computer are available"
If I check the update history I can see my last update was:
Windows Update Agent 7.2.6001.788 - 14 November 2008 - via Automatic Updates I know there are some significant updates since this date, especially this week, yet I seem unable to receive them
I have a very fast professional Internet connection so no problems there, and I'm heavily protected with up-to-date antivirus software and hardware firewalls.
I've tried the procedure to manually register wups2.dll but this didn't work.
Clearly this PC, and several others behaving similarly are now rather vulnerable, so I would be very grateful for some suggestions on how to rectify the situation.

  • Re: Cant access Windows Update, no error code
    ... but my systems have *never* had an issue in 9 years obtaining and installing updates from WU/MU save for updates to Word and Excel Viewers. ... the ZA clean uninstall, and before reinstalling, I again tried Windows update with the same problem of Windows update failing recurring. ... It's little surprise that there is such widespread animosity against Microsoft when it apparently intentionally abuses its effective monopolistic position through practices such as unreasonably preventing competing web browsers from accessing Windows updates. ... Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls - Enable ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Cant access Windows Update, no error code
    ... obtaining and installing updates from WU/MU save for updates to Word and ... with the same problem of Windows update failing recurring. ... that there is such widespread animosity against Microsoft when it apparently ... There are many situations where Zone Alarm does *not* uninstall ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Cant access Windows Update, no error code
    ... with the same problem of Windows update failing recurring. ... that there is such widespread animosity against Microsoft when it apparently ... install critical updates for my computer, one-by-one, a practical solution? ... ZA's sloppy uninstall routine. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows Vista update
    ... I am struglged all day with trying to install VISTA service pack 1. ... But Check for Updates did not suggest `Service Pack 1`. ... Exit the command prompt and try Windows Update again. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Latest Ed Fosters Gripeline...
    ... The Reader Advocate Column ... Windows Updates and Software Ownership ... the Windows Update software itself -- need to be installed if the update ... starting with the litany of buggy releases Microsoft has foisted on us ...
    (sci.research.careers)