Re: x64 WU failed install backlog, points to AU Client, KB952709,

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Before doing anything else, uninstall IE8B2 if it's still installed.

How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/

NB: I wouldn't have known that you'd installed IE8B2 if you hadn't mentioned it.
--
~PA Bear

a.k.a. wrote:
This actually strikes me as some sort of corruption later on, since I didn't
have problems with WU from Feb to July, and I'm positive it was the RTM that
I installed -- the RC had too many known issues. Plus, these errors never
surfaced in the discussion threads from the RC days -- looked long and hard
at them. Since I'm going to wipe out the system soon enough, so I'd rather
look at less invasive surgery for now. I guess I'll try reinstalling the
Windows Update client first.

I know it makes everyone's eyes glaze, no matter how proficient you are, but
could I ask for a little help at reading WU log files -- either your
translation of what I posted, a tip or two, or some resource to turn to
besides the public "glossary" of WU error codes?

Thanks,
Martin

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
This smells like you may have installed a Release Candidate build of Vista
SP1, Martin. In this case and assuming you don't want to wipe & reload
right now, I'd recommend:

1. After uninstalling IE8 Beta 2 (if still installed), uninstall Vista SP1
(cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537) and reboot twice.

2. Run Windows Update manually & repeatedly (if & as necessary) until (a)
all Vista SP1 Preliminary updates have been offered and installed and (b)
Vista SP1 is finally offered.

3. At this juncture, you can install Vista SP1 either via Windows Update or
using a freshly downloaded & appropriate full-package installer from the
Download Center (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791) and reboot
twice.

4. Run Windows Update manually & repeatedly until any/all security updates
are installed.

NB: For best results, I would strongly recommend that you only
uninstall/install SP1 after (a) having uninstalled IE8 Beta; (b) having
disabled all "real-time protections" (e.g., anti-virus & anti-spyware apps,
other than Windows Defender) and (b) having disabled any third-party
firewall (e.g., ZA) and then enabling the Windows Firewall.

When all else fails, unlimited installation and compatibility support for
Vista SP1 is available at no charge through 18 Mar-09

• US:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• CA:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-ca&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• UK:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-gb&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• AU:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-au&prid=11274&gprid=500921

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

a.k.a. wrote:
By the way, glad you read my apology to you over in the IE8 forum. Sorry,
once more. I guess that particularly when they're not part of your "day"
job, these issues can just seem like a huge problem of squandered time. I
don't know how you made MVP. By contrast, I feel like I've blown a lot of
time wrestling up till now with the metaphysics of the Windows Update
error
codes.

So thanks for the help. I did submit a ticket to the Microsoft Update tech
group, because there's a "possible" error in a WU component. I just need
know more about WU log reading, and how error diagnosis can be done.

This Vista installation is a clean-install x64 OS. I own rights to both
TechNet and OEM keys. I installed in February, and added SP1 separately,
because it was a month or so before the slipstreamed Vista+SP1 discs that
TechNet released. I will eventually do a clean install again, but I want
get this figured out, in case I see WU problems again, and because I need
invest some time in backups first too.

Regards,

Marty

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

Was Vista SP1 preinstalled when you purchased this machine? If not, did
you install SP1 via Windows Update or manually?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

a.k.a. wrote:
I have run down every post in these forums and elsewhere, looking for a
way
to correct failed installations of these two KBs -- 952709 and 955302.
They
are holding up at least 16 updates now. Each installation I attempt, I
get
the "updates were not configured correctly" error and a rollback. Here
is
what else is happening:

The OS build is: 6.0.6001.18000:1, although in all of the errors, it
indicates the build is 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1.

1. Both KB hotfixes are returning error code 80004005, with this Event
Names: CbsPackageServicingFailure and WindowsWcpAIFailure3.

2. TrustedInstaller is running netcfg.exe, one of the .NETCF PowerTools,
and
is returning error code 8007371d, eith Event Name: WindowsWcpAIFailure3.
The
version installed on this machine is 6.0.6000.16386.

3. One of these errors in the log excerpts below (8024001F) is sometimes
associated with corrupt WU Service Object Security Templates, or maybe
some
kind of TCP mismatch. Before I reinstall the WU client, there is
supposed
be an app I'd like to try (AU Check) that downloads the latest checksums
and
other stuff I don't have a good picture of. (I've seen some checksums,
but
they're a good several years old.) The only problem is that that script
is
no longer public, it seems.

The components associated with the errors I'm getting are:

1. amd64_microsoft-windows-qos_31bf3856ad364e35_none_5700de9a3740fcd5
... which shows OS version 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

2. Package_for_KB952709~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.2
... which shows OS version 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

3.
amd64_microsoft-windows-native-80211_31bf3856ad364e35_none_f7ed142adbc68e20
... which shows OS version 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

4. Package_for_KB955302~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.0.1.1
... which shows OS version 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1

Let me sign off here, and you'll find the relevant details of the
problem
in
the next post -- I need to separate the posts to meet the post length
limit.

THANK YOU for all of your help!

Martin

  • Re: I cant install critical updates
    ... I resolved error message problem from Vista Security Center by uninstalling and reinstalling Antivir. ... How it comes I can't either manage to install manually failing updates? ... Be sure to obtain the correct version for Windows x86. ... Windows Update Agent File Versions: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: I am having connectivity problems
    ... Windows XP | select Windows XP Service Pack 3 ... firewall and turned ON Windows firewall. ... When I tried to install SP2 I was unable to get it thru Windows Update. ...
  • Re: Hacked or.....Would appreciate expert help
    ... so you can install it after you've reformatted. ... > Connection Firewall (Windows Firewall) and turn it on. ... > to Windows Update, and get whatever security patches they have for you. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: SVCHost keeps crashing
    ... I'd mentioned previously that I had run virus scanning and anit-spyware ... installed after device drivers and windows patches. ... So the machine is not fully patched at Windows Update? ... I didn't do a repair install. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: I cant install critical updates
    ... Will ask the author about that, Maslow. ... Be sure to obtain the correct version for Windows x86. ... Windows Update Agent File Versions: ... Q. When you attempted to install the WUA did you reboot afterwards? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)