Re: Update

The IE 7 first, the SP3
The date was 9/6/08.
The issue with IE 7 was caused by Windows Search 4. When uninstalled it the
issue was resolved.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

The SP3 and IE 7 were installed from the web (automatic updates)
Zass & AVG were not installed them.

Was no anti-virus application at all installed when you installed SP3 and
IE7?

Which was installed first, SP3 or IE7?

When did you install SP3 (approximate date)?

des27 wrote:
I guess you must sleep by the computer.
The media was the CD that came with the computer.
The SP3 and IE 7 were installed from the web (automatic updates)
Zass & AVG were not installed them. They were installed afterwards.
I have tried bothe Method #1 & #2
I guess I will try to install all the updates from the site you mentioned
943144, of course I will have to go by dates 11/11/08

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
5a. What media (e.g., CDs) did you use to do the clean install of WinXP
Pro
and where did you obtain it?
CD was used.

Did the CD you used come with that specific machine?

Did you install WinXP SP3 and IE7 manually, too, or were one or both
installed via Windows Update (website) or Automatic Updates?

When did you installed WinXP SP3, was ZASS and/or AVG AV running in the
background?

Please confirm that you've tried both Method #1 and Method #2 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144.
--
~PA Bear

des27 wrote:
I am able to reach Microsoft Update and when I scan for updates none are
offered.
XP Pro V. 2002 Service Pack 3, v 5657
IE7 v. 70.5730. 13
CD was used.
No Norton or McAfee software is or was installed.
The following updates are installed by me(manually)directly from the
site
on
11/08.
KB 952954
KB 954211
KB 953155
KB 959252

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
rebooted and tried to update - No updates.

1. What does "no updates" mean? Were you able to reach Microsoft Update
and
scan for updates but no updates were offered?

2. Right-click on My Computer and select Properties: What Windows
version
is displayed on the General tab?

3. Are you running IE6 or IE7?

4. Open Add/Remove Programs | Make sure the Show Updates option (top
right)
is checked | Scroll down: Are there any "Security Update for Windows XP
(KB999999)" listed? If so, what's the KB numbers associated with the
five
(5) most-recently installed of these updates?

5a. What media (e.g., CDs) did you use to do the clean install of WinXP
Pro
and where did you obtain it?

5b. If you used the CDs that came with your machine or used the hidden
Recovery partition to reinstall Windows, did the reinstall include a
free-trial version of any Norton or McAfee software? If so, is this
software still installed?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

des27 wrote:
I uninstalled AVG 8 - rebooted - Automatic Updates was
enabled(already) -
rebooted and tried to update - No updates.
Went to http://windowsupdate.microsoft and was directed to
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate.v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
The way I discovered that it was not wworking was because when I got
the
computer back it downloaded Office 2007 Security stuff. I don't have
Office 2007, but 2003.

If you have Office 2007 Compatibility Pack (SP1) installed, that's
why
you
were offered the "Office 2007 Security stuff."

Firewall (Wireless router WPA2) and Zone Alarm Security Suite
8.0.059
AVG Antivirus 8.0.199

1a. If you've purchased ZASS, uninstall AVG 8 via Add/Remove Programs
and
reboot.

1b. If you've not purchased ZASS, uninstall ZASS via Add/Remove
Programs
and reboot.

2. Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled. If you enable it,
reboot, and then find it's disabled again, tell us.

3a. Test by going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com,

3b. Does the link in #3a above take you to Windows Update or
Microsoft
Update?
--
~PA Bear

des27 wrote:
This was a clean installation.
Firewall (Wireless router WPA2) and Zone Alarm Security Suite
8.0.059
AVG Antivirus 8.0.199
The way I discovered that it was not wworking was because when I got
the
computer back it downloaded Office 2007 Security stuff. I don't have
Office
2007, but 2003. Then when I update my other computer (desktop), the
laptop
would not find any updates for October and November.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
Repost:
This was a *clean* installation or a Repair Install of XP ?
Is there an antivirus/security suite installed and, if so, what
is
it?

Before You Connect a New Computer to the Internet
(you have the equivalent of a "new computer" after a Repair Install
and
Clean Install)
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html

des27 wrote:
I have done all the steps suggested and still cannot get any
updates.
Should I reformat the hard drive and do a clean install?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
Repost:

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from
Microsoft
Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you perform a new
Windows
XP
installation or you repair a Windows XP installation
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

des27 wrote:
1 It was a clean installation.
2 The Criptographics was running in automatic
3 I rename the catroot32 to old catroot32
4 There were no temp files
on{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}
5 All reg were successful
Still no updates after reboot.
I got error 0x800B0001
Checked it out and registered all the new .dll except one
wuweb.dll,atl.dll did not work.
Still no updates.
What next?
Thanks

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
0X80029C4A TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY
Error loading type library/DLL.

This was a *clean* installation or a Repair Install of XP ?
Is there an antivirus/security suite installed and, if so, what
is
it
?

First step, open the Services console and check to see if
Cryptographic
Services is Disabled on startup.
[Start > Run > type in services.msc , click OK]
Double left click Cryptographic Services to see if it's
Disabled
next
Startup type. Set the startup type to Automatic if it had been
Disabled.
If it's not Disabled, read on ...

Boot to Safe Mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Show hidden files, folders, and system files:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html#winxp

Open a Command Prompt [Start > Run > type in cmd, click OK]
At the prompt type in or copy&paste the following after the
prompt
and
then press Enter

ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
exit

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the following subfolder:
WINDOWS\ystem32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}

Once in the {F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE} subfolder,
look
for
all files that *start* with tmp. IF any exist, move them to the
Recycle
Bin for now.

*** DO NOT move any files to the Recycle Bin that do NOT start
with
tmp ***

Restart the system and then do Method 4: Reregister DLL files
that
are
associated with Cryptographic Services, here-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/

Restart the system and see if it can update now.

My hard disk crashed and had to reinstall XP Pro. Since then
Windows
update has not had any updates for the month of Oct. & Nov.
When
run
update it finds nothing. I installed the new Windows update
software
and
still nothing. My other machine has had mmany updates since
then.
Any
suggestions?

Neither of the responses worked. WGA was OK - Dial-a-fix
stopped
when
it
was checking criptographic?? The same with (aureset) I will
now
look
for
the log and see if I can post the log error. Log error
(0X80029C4A)
many
times. Hope this works.
Thanks

  • Re: Windows UpDate: XP Service Pack 3 / Access Denied / Error 0x80
    ... 4000 failed updates. ... I obtained the CD and used it for installation of SP3. ... If I try to install SP3--my pc freezes and logs me off. ... You are currently running Windows XP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows UpDate: XP Service Pack 3 / Access Denied / Error 0x80
    ... 4000 failed updates. ... I obtained the CD and used it for installation of SP3. ... If I try to install SP3--my pc freezes and logs me off. ... You are currently running Windows XP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows UpDate: XP Service Pack 3 / Access Denied / Error 0x80
    ... If I try to install SP3--my pc freezes and logs me off. ... Turn off automatic updates if you feel you can handle your own computer ... Like it or not - Windows XP SP3 is something that you probably should ... You are currently running Windows XP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows UpDate: XP Service Pack 3 / Access Denied / Error 0x80
    ... If I try to install SP3--my pc freezes and logs me off. ... Turn off automatic updates if you feel you can handle your own computer ... Like it or not - Windows XP SP3 is something that you probably should ... You are currently running Windows XP. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: SP3
    ... What was released recently was the Final Build - SP3 will not be changing. ... Direct download of Windows XP SP3: ... Have you checked for updates for said software package you DO utilize? ... computer and get the newest hardware driver and install it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)